Lucky or what? - 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just following on from LooPrEvil's good fortune, it could be worth another thread.
For me - an early Fiesta 1.1 with taper seat spark plugs. One snapped off, leaving the threaded bit in the iron cylinder head. I used a spline extractor, that hammers into the remaining bit of plug - and it did come out! I was busy rehearsing what to say to the punter for ages....!

And....an early Polo - removed the wrong plug to check the gearbox oil level. There was a clunk as a piece of metal (not sure what it was) fell into the gearbox internals :eek: However, by twisting the gearbox linkages, the plate hove back into place (spying through the bolt hole) and I managed to screw the plug back in. Felt like I was on holy ground....
Anyone else like to continue?
John :)

Sponsored Links
I have had a number of things like that happen over the years John, but I can't remember them at present. The only thing that sticks out in my mind is the occaision I had my Granada estate on the ramp, can't remember what I was doing to it but I slackened off the bolts holding the diff in place, then got out to get something, when I was just clear of the car the diff fell out - that would have been on my head if I had still been there.

Just thought of another one regarding the afformentioned Ford E39. Twice the thrust washer behind 2nd gear broke and I had to drive some distance in 1st and 3rd which are not even related to each other, that was managable unless you were foolish enough to put it into reverse, if you did the 2nd gear slid off its bearing onto the shaft and jammed it in reverse, the firsr occaision involved removing the gearbox which also meant removing the axle as it had an enclosed prop shaft. The second time it happened I found that you could lift the top of the gearbox just high enough to get a screwdriver in each side, lift the gear and slide it back onto the shaft.

This was of course all done at the side of the road as you could take the floor out of the car - that was motoring :D

Peter

On most of my cars, the floor had long since gone :D
Had I ever had a crash, they wouldn't have sent a tow truck - just a dust pan and brush :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I remember seeing one of those where the steering box had detatched from the bulkhead - so no steering at all :D

I see a Reliant Robin on one of the sites up for Auction on Monday next.
It's at 100 quid at the moment?
If only it could swim home?
A4 Avant or Reliant Robin, tricky one that.

(Near side front wing damage if anyone is interested, probably not)

Remember doing second gear in a Ford County using two long pieces of threaded bar (bolts) to slide the gearbox apart on (by about 6 inches). Popped in the new selector, which was made of glass and tightened the bolts back up. How lucky was that.

mum had a 950 mk2 fiesta, i decided to do her a favor when she was away by doing a service, also the same taper spark plug snapped off aswell.

i ended up having to take off the head to get it out.... she never knew anything about it..

:oops: [/code]

Speaking of Fiesta's (again) I recall taking the plugs out for replacement, and setting the tappets at the same time......lo and behold, where did one screw and washer go from the rocker cover? Yes, you've guessed -down the plug 'ole :eek: but it did come out after I'd turned the crank towards TDC and made a tiny nozzle for the vacuum cleaner :D

Sponsored Links
Back