Luke Warm Bath Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Saunier Duval combi-boiler Thelia 623.

I have BG homecare agreement. The boiler has constantly had a problem with leaks. after the last service they replaced what i think was called a solenoid?. then it was still leaking so they replaced a thermistor.

I then had a problem with hot water. the bath water upstairs was not getting hot enough. the engineer came out again and replaced the thermistor again as he said the previous one had been faulty.

Unfortunately I still have the problem of luke warm water and am dreading calling them out again as the engineer said the boiler was too old. It is about 15yrs old. I live in an area with very hard water and i have a combi mate and replace the balls regularly.

Any advice would be appreciative.

Sponsored Links
These boilers have a reputation for leaks and likely maintainance is entirely predictable. Unfortunately BG take these on under contract but really don't want to repair them since it's expensive in both parts and labour time. I say this from gaining several customers who were in exactly the same predicament. My personal view is that BG (and others) should not be insuring such old and problematic boilers. There appears to be a policy of "wearing" down the customer with repeated service visits (that don't actually repair the faults) in the hope the customer will succumb to a replacement boiler at inflated cost.

Normally to cure all the leaks it's a case of replacing the reversing valve, pump and hoses (if they are still original). At the same time it's prudent to service the DHW flow switch assembly (the arch kit). This lot takes 1/2 a day if done properly and needs sufficient room underneath and to the left of the boiler. By now fans are also begining to fail at more additional cost to the insurer.

As for the bath water temperature have you actually measured the flow rate compared to say the basin taps....frequently users open the bath tap too much and the boiler is unable to heat the water to a sufficiently high temperature.

Thank you for your advice I am sure that is BG's policy.

I have slowed down the water coming out of the bath tap but it still hasn't improved.
I may have to get a quote from an independent heating engineer on the advice you have given.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back