Luminous lime mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to sort out some repointing that I've done. Any advice on colour matching would be really appreciated.

I've repointed using singleton NHL 3.5, using a 1/3 mortar to sand mix. It looks absolutely luminous compared to the original. Now, I understand that it will always look brighter then 130 year old mortar, but is there any recommended mix or sand that will dull it down a little maybe?

I've a pic below so you can see what I mean. The new stuff is top right:

Any advice very much appreciated!

Attachments

• mortar.png
    mortar.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 289
Sponsored Links
Mix something dark in perhaps, you can get special dust or dye for it or get creative and find something else to add if it's just for your own house.
I'm not a builder. I did the same and it also came out very bright but i was painting it anyway.

I'm trying to sort out some repointing that I've done. Any advice on colour matching would be really appreciated.

I've repointed using singleton NHL 3.5, using a 1/3 mortar to sand mix. It looks absolutely luminous compared to the original. Now, I understand that it will always look brighter then 130 year old mortar, but is there any recommended mix or sand that will dull it down a little maybe?

I've a pic below so you can see what I mean. The new stuff is top right:

Any advice very much appreciated!
Spray it with Liquid Weather - sold on Amazon - half a litre for £20 in a spraay bottle. I've used it(y)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice, I've ended up buying some brown Powder Mortar Tone (1kg pack from Toolstation), I'll see how that looks and post some pics. I'll also try the Liquid Weather on some other patches of bricks that don't currently match-up, cheers for the suggestion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back