Lupin Seeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

At my workplace there are several lupin plants which have flowered and had now formed the seed pods. Do you HAVE to wait until they are dried out before you can pick the pods? The problem is other people are taking them before they are really dried so unless I want to miss out on all of the seeds I need to pick them while they still have a little bit of moisture in the pods. Will the seeds have properly formed by this stage?!

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Well, if you wait, they'll be gone, so you have answered your own question!

Pick them now.

Well, if you wait, they'll be gone, so you have answered your own question!

Pick them now.

Well really I didnt want to pick them before they were going to be of any use so that was the question!

But thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
Snip the entire stem off the plant, pods an' all, and leave them to ripen on a windowsill or somewhere. The seeds will fall out very easily when ready.

I cant get a whole stem but will grab some more pods on the way past next time and just leave them to dry and see what happens. Is it worth sowing them this year in prep for next year at all?

You can but you'll need to molly coddle the small plants over winter as I doubt they'll be big enough to survive by the time the winter comes.

Depending on how many you have, I'd throw some in the ground now, sow some in pots now and leave the rest for sowing in early spring; that should cover all bases!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back