Lvt over lvt

Joined
15 Feb 2015
Messages
158
Reaction score
4
Location
Nottinghamshire
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,


I'd be grateful for some advice from anyone with experience installing LVT flooring.


I currently have glue-down LVT that's approximately 2mm thick, bonded directly to a screeded floor. It was installed by the previous owners around six years ago and is still in good condition, with no loose or lifting planks.


I'm looking to replace it with herringbone glue-down LVT, something similar to Karndean, approximately 2–3mm thick.


My main question is whether it's possible to bond new LVT directly onto existing LVT.


I appreciate that the existing flooring is non-porous, which could cause adhesion issues, although it does have a lightly textured surface.


I've come across F. Ball Styccobond F49, which apparently can bond to non-absorbent surfaces. Would this be suitable for bonding LVT directly to LVT?


Alternatively, would I need to apply a specialist primer and a thin layer of smoothing compound before installing the new flooring? If so, I'd appreciate any product recommendations.


I've also considered click LVT, but I'd prefer glue-down as I want the flooring to fit neatly against the existing skirting boards without having to remove them.


Ideally, I'd like to avoid lifting the existing LVT, as it's firmly bonded to the screed.


Has anyone successfully installed glue-down LVT over existing LVT? If so, what preparation, primer and adhesive did you use, and has it held up well over time?


I've attached a photo of the current flooring for reference.


Many thanks in advance for any advice!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20261009_210100324.jpg
    PXL_20261009_210100324.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20261009_210033835.jpg
    PXL_20261009_210033835.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 6
have know a few fitters to do it over the years but bad idea imo. You won’t get a full bond as the adheisve can’t soak in and would sit ontop so a weak bond. But if you want to gamble use F46 and trowel on then flatten adheisve with a medium pile paint roller sleeve.

For my heat tiles and pull up which hopefully won’t pull the screed up then you could prime p51 4-1 then ardex feather finish skim at 1mm.
 
As Dazlight has say's, don't do it.

It's not hard to uplift the existing lvt, warm it up with a heat gun, peel it up and re-screed the subfloor.

If you try fitting over what you have directly it won't bond and the design of the old floor will show through.

It won't be hard to get the old LVT up.
 
as above,

A heat gun at 300(?) degrees will soften the adhesive. I have done it a few times but I was only replacing sections. Not my bread and butter work though.
 
Thanks for the helpful replied

It sounds like laying glue-down LVT over my existing flooring might not be the best idea unless the floor is properly prepared, particularly as it's a heavily used area.

I'm now wondering whether a good-quality click LVT might be a better option. I'd be happy to remove all the skirting boards beforehand so the flooring can be fitted neatly underneath, with the required expansion gaps hidden from view.

As the existing LVT is firmly bonded and the floor is already level, I'm hoping this would involve much less preparation.

In your experience, would a good-quality click LVT, such as Karndean, be just as durable and hard-wearing as glue-down LVT in a busy home? I'm particularly interested in how well it holds up over time, especially around joints and with furniture being moved.

Many thanks for your advice!
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top