Macerator or ugly pipe run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently moved house, I am contemplating fitting an en-suite shower and w/c into the largest bedroom. As the only bathroom is situated downstairs, I feel this to be an essential improvement to the house as it will give us an upstairs w/c and add value.

However, the biggest headache is deciding on whether to install a big 4 inch soil pipe along the entire length of the driveway back to the stack or to fit a macerator instead. I feel the simplest solution is the soil pipe but as it would look unsightly the macerator may be a better option.

What do others think....?

Sponsored Links
Most people hate the noise of a macerator more than anything.

joe

if you fit a macerator would u take the waste pipe via the outside also. if so u have to insulate it anyway and it not going to be miles away from 4" diameter

The pipework would still be installed outside but it would only be 32 mm diameter (1 1/4") so would not look anywhere near obstrusive. Would it need to be insulated? ordinary waste pipe is not.

Is there a limit on how far a pipe can be run to a stack before it becomes unreliable? I've been told macerators can break down and are expensive to repair, is this likely?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I put in a French macerating toilet a few years ago on the theory that they had been using them for years over there and they ought to be reliable. I've had no problems with the toilet but the non-return valve has been difficult.

My toilet pumps up to ceiling level and then over to and down an outside wall. I've never had to insulate the outside pipe, by the way - it's always empty. However, there's always standing water in the up pipe from the toilet, obviously. This means that when the non-return valve needs cleaning, it can get messy.

The trouble is that solid waste and toilet paper combine to a sort of paste that coats the inside of the up pipe, as the stuff remains there until enough flushes have passed it through. And solid bits gum up the valve and prevent it closing properly so dirty smelly water seeps back into the toilet bowl.

We now use the toilet for liquids only because of this problem.

Hope this helps.

i cant re-call if u have to insulate 32mm pipe...poss not, but the m.i. will let u know.

the last one i fitted i ran the waste pipe in 22mm outside for some 10m. the m.i. stated it needs insulating.

i put this to the customer and she said she'd take a chance at it not freezing due to the asthetics of the pipe (it was running the length of the front of the house).

anyway 8 weeks later i was back insulating it as it had blocked/frozen over a -4 c night. (even if we might think it should be empty)

If this is to be the only bathroom upstairs I wouldn't go for the macerator option. The soil pipe seems more hassle but in the long run the 4" soil pipe will be the best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back