Madia Plate aerial connection not setup correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am more so wondering if this is or could be an issue more than its something that really effecting me right now.

I moved into a newly built house a few months back, got a guy out to put an aerial on the roof, the house already had a media plate in the living room.

When we come to test the aerial the fitter couldn't get a signal through the normal aerial socket, we eventually found that we could only get a signal is the tv was connected to one of the other connectors called 'return', this is a slightly different socket type as well so he changes the aerial lead to a different one he had in his van that did fit it.

so we do have tv through it, every now and then then signal looks a little scrambled or sometimes we get errors in recording via the freeview tv box, not sure if this is just an issue with the box or signal at the time or the media plate, it doesnt happen loads though, but annoying when it does.

i was just wondering if this is something you think i should get fixed by the developer or if its fine to be wired to that 'return' socket?

regards

james

Sponsored Links
The return is usually wired through to an aerial socket in another room (eg bedroom or kitchen) so you can send a signal from the set top box in the lounge to be viewed on another TV elsewhere in the flat.

Is there another socket in the house? It may be that all of the wiring for the lounge plate just goes to the loft and your installer may have connected the new aerial to the wrong wire.

If you have a media plate with an uplink return you should have a 'loft box' that would distribute whatever is connected to the return socket in the main TV location.
As jackthom has suggested your aerial may have been connected to the wrong coax. You need to confirm that you have a 'loft box' and not just a bunch of coax cables in the loft.

If you do have a loft box and the aerial is correctly wired to the TV socket in the lounge you will have to install a link cable between TV and Return to get TV in the other rooms.

Google -Global Loft Box for a wiring schematic.

Kind regards,

DS

Freeview is simply rubbish, for ever swapping channels and really adversely affected by isotropic propagation (CB guys called it skip) this is specially a problem around Suffolk because of the level land, in Wales TV transmitters are put on high ground so the inversion tends to follow the lie of the land so aerial is still under the inversion, in non hilly areas the signal is often over the inversion layer so bounces into space rather than coming down to your TV.

I Holland there masts are lower and the reverse can happen, so Dutch TV follows the inversion layer and allows it to be received well into the UK, this means it's fighting with the UK TV broadcast degrading the UK signal. This has always happened, but in analogue days we could see ghost images and we knew what was going on, but today all we know is we have bad reception. Satellite is not affected as much.

Sponsored Links
If you have a media plate with an uplink return you should have a 'loft box' that would distribute whatever is connected to the return socket in the main TV location.
As jackthom has suggested your aerial may have been connected to the wrong coax. You need to confirm that you have a 'loft box' and not just a bunch of coax cables in the loft.

If you do have a loft box and the aerial is correctly wired to the TV socket in the lounge you will have to install a link cable between TV and Return to get TV in the other rooms.

Google -Global Loft Box for a wiring schematic.

Kind regards,

DS

Not necessarily. If the return is only feeding one bedroom say no need for a loft box. The aerial should be connected to the main input of the media plate possibly along with a dish via a diplexer. Having said that using the return socket should still work, though unconventional, if no other cables are connected to it.

Blocking/scrambling is due to either a poor installation or poor signal or local interference. You would need an expert on site to determine which.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back