TV distribution amps and Sky RF2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been years since I had to do any of this, so if anyone could help I'd be appreciative.

Customer wants 5 positions of TV.

At each location he'd like Sky via RF2 port and UHF for freeview tuners.

So if I supply a loftbox and wire 5 locations from the box, that should cover the locations.

Where I'm getting confused is the UHF aerial signal.

Should I have a direct cable from the aerial down to the Sky box, plug this in the Sky UHF socket and then the UHF signal will be returned to the amplifier via the RF2 uplink, or do I just take the UHF from aerial to amplifier?

Reason I ask is that some have suggested that the signal will be very weak if the aerial goes direct to amplifier.

Rolling on from this, if the aerial link is taken in and out of VHS and DVD units before finishing at the Sky+ box will that mean via simply channel tuning that the remote TV's fed via the amp will get DVD. VHS and Sky ?

Quote from Satcure site

People write to us to complain that the picture quality is absolutely abysmal on the secondary TV sets. This is invariably because they did not complete the "downlink-uplink" return connection. The signal coming out of the Loft Box "living room feed" must be returned to the Loft Box, otherwise the secondary TV sets will not receive it.

Sponsored Links
It's been years since I had to do any of this, so if anyone could help I'd be appreciative.

Customer wants 5 positions of TV.

At each location he'd like Sky via RF2 port and UHF for freeview tuners.

So if I supply a loftbox and wire 5 locations from the box, that should cover the locations.

Where I'm getting confused is the UHF aerial signal.

Should I have a direct cable from the aerial down to the Sky box, plug this in the Sky UHF socket and then the UHF signal will be returned to the amplifier via the RF2 uplink, or do I just take the UHF from aerial to amplifier?

Reason I ask is that some have suggested that the signal will be very weak if the aerial goes direct to amplifier.

Rolling on from this, if the aerial link is taken in and out of VHS and DVD units before finishing at the Sky+ box will that mean via simply channel tuning that the remote TV's fed via the amp will get DVD. VHS and Sky ?

Quote from Satcure site

People write to us to complain that the picture quality is absolutely abysmal on the secondary TV sets. This is invariably because they did not complete the "downlink-uplink" return connection. The signal coming out of the Loft Box "living room feed" must be returned to the Loft Box, otherwise the secondary TV sets will not receive it.

re the UHF signal yes the signal should go down first then back up to the loftbox,is the DVD a player or a recorder as not many dvd players output an RF signal. the RF2 signal going via the VHS and DVD if possible could mean channel allocation problems with the output of sky and vhs and possibly dvd interfering with each other unless you can tune the relevant outputs to different frequencies. but yes the theory is correct but can be a pain to set up, so i personally would keep it simple and have just the RF2 sky signal to the loftbox then to the other TVs, especially as dvd players are now so cheap and how do you control what is playing on the VHS or DVD if someone wants it to stop or pause . I know this is a long winded reply but it is an akward scenario that you are making harder for yourself

I'm all for easy set up's- your right.

I'll set the job with a aerial feed to the loft box, then run the down link via a triplex plate.

From that I'll plug in to the UHF side of the skybox and the send the UHF and RF2 back on the single uplink cable.

I'll avoid any further interconnects issues with trying to pump DVD or VHS back with the UHF / RF2 uplink.

Thanks for your help :D

Now does anyone know how to link a HDMi DVD sound 5:1 system to a Sky plus box??

Will SKART be the easiest way or should if be any optical link ?

I'm all for easy set up's- your right.

I'll set the job with a aerial feed to the loft box, then run the down link via a triplex plate.

From that I'll plug in to the UHF side of the skybox and the send the UHF and RF2 back on the single uplink cable.

I'll avoid any further interconnects issues with trying to pump DVD or VHS back with the UHF / RF2 uplink.

Thanks for your help :D

Now does anyone know how to link a HDMi DVD sound 5:1 system to a Sky plus box??

Will SKART be the easiest way or should if be any optical link ?

if it is a genuine loftbox look here for diagram

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/downloads/185138500_LB.pdf

re the second question, more details needed

Sponsored Links
It's a labgear HDU681 S

http://cyberselect.co.uk/products/Labgear_HDU681S_wiring.pdf

Re: sound

As mentioned the client has a Sony HD DVD (IS 10) system with 5:1 this interconnects to the TV (also a Sony) and will give true 5:1

So how sound I engineer the sound from the DVD player to take an output from the Sky+ unit?

Is a Skart link ok or sound it be via the optical port and suitable lead ?

Here's the DVD options for sound:-

1 Optical digital connection(s) The optical connection is completely digital for interference-free sound. In order to get full 5.1 surround sound from Sky HD, your DVD Home Cinema System must have an optical input.

Composite video output Alternative connection to scart comprising three pins, one for picture and two for stereo sound.

1 Digital coaxial connection(s) Digital audio connection capable of carrying Dolby Digital and DTS signals between devices. An alternative to an Optical Digital connection.

Any idea which will work best with Sky+ :LOL:

if the sky+ box has a digital output either optical or audio i would use that
to feed the Is10 to give 5.1 sound

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back