Sky+ distributed around house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy all

After many hours searching, I need some help to take my (soon to be installed) Sky+ and blast it into each room.

The help/advice I need is getting from what I have now to what I'd like. :D

What I have today: Aerial on roof comes into an SLx amp in the loft. This then has an aerial connection into 5 rooms. Each room gets a good TV signal.

What I wany: New Sky+ to be installed in my living room and then distributed to each of the other rooms. I understand each other room will only see what is being watched where the Sky+ box is. In 2 other rooms I'd like to be able to change channel remotely. I understand this will need a "remote control extender" in the rooms where I want this and the amp will need to pass the signal.

I'm 95% sure I'll have to replace the SLx amp in the loft with one that will pass the "remote control extender" signal (my local TV shop has a 6 way one for £45).

Main concern is will having multiple "remote control extenders" (around £10 each) work and what (if anything) is needed at the Sky+ box end?

Also, will the new wiring layout have cables (how many?) running direct from the dish into the Sky+ box in my living room and then connecting an aerial cable from the RF2 on the back up into the (new) amp in my loft. Wiring to each other room remains unchanged.

Any help or pointers to more details much appreciated!! :idea:

ciao
Mike

Sponsored Links
might not be as hard as you think, we can watch sky in the bedroom, sky box in lounge, i just plugged the upstirs tv into the sky box (i think)

You will end up with when installed two cables from the sky dish to the sky+ box. In order to get the sky picture distributed around the house you will need to run a cable from RF2 back up to feed the distribution box. (You need to use RF2 if you are wanting to use remote controls). You will also need to use an amplifier which passes the remote control signal from a magic eye to the digibox, or use a bypass kit.
This site may also be of help: http://www.tvlink.co.uk/tvlink.htm

Sponsored Links
You want three drops of sattellite quality coax from the 'head end' into the lounge, terminate it in a triplex+return+f plate

at the 'head end' you have a 'loft box' that supports returning of sky signals to the sky box, you take your aerial and dish (the normal watching feed) to the 'loft box' You then connect the triplex part in the lounge to the correct connection on the loft box (triplex splits it into three outputs uhf, sat and fm), do the same with the return, the f connector goes straight to the other feed from the LNB. You then run cables from the loft box to outlets around the house (use same cable if poss)

A loftbox: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm#loftbox2
The plate: (bottom on) : http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm#plates (mor info: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/triax_304114.htm )

If you don't follow or want a diagram, then just say so

Thanks for the info and links - really useful, cheers!

One last thing, as the cable between my living room and loft is already in place, can this be used with a simple Y-splitter at both ends to send the aerial signal down to the Sky+ box and then return back from the RF2 into the loft amp?

Ta.!

No, but you can use the loft box to combine the arial, fm and LNB1 singnals onto one cable then 'un-combine' them at the lounge end using a triplex plate.

This will then leave you with a spare cable from the loft to the lounge, which you can now use to send the sky signal to the distributer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back