Maglock / closures on a UPVC door?! Need some guidance....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Communal UPVC door.

We have a door entry system which should allow the door to be opened.

I probably need to revert and start again - but essentially I need guidance on what I can do or what I need to request from the electrician etc.

One UPVC door/frame with handles on the inside and outside and a standard key to unlock.

Once unlocked anyone can walk in and out.

I have been told that I can't use a maglock on the door nor can we fit a door closure system - I have no idea if that is true.

We have the door entry setup, but it doesn't release the door. I believe that we have an electronic release system currently installed.

Ideally I would like a system whereby the residents can enter their code, the door unlocks and they can open the door. From the inside I assume they would just open the door?

If the door can auto close that would be wonderful.

What do we need?
Do I need to purchase a new door, a new locking system, a new frame?
Do we have handles on both sides, one side or none?

I really do not know.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As I am aware self closers can be fitted as can maglocks as long as the maglock is automatically released when the fire alarm sounds and/or has a means of being turned off in case of emergency (green break glass call point)

Ask whoever told you that to point to the relevant legislation that prohibits it (I bet they can't)

Personally I would keep it as is and just fit a door closure so residents can't leave the door open

Oh and change the locking mechanism so it self locks when closed and only requires the key to unlock and not to lock

Take it you do maintenance for the building?

Thanks!

No I own the building and I'm being told this.

I am failing to find anyone who can confirm or assist.

Maglock needs a well fitting door or it will be insecure and uvpc frames don’t offer very secure fixing for them.
Many properties use conventional locks , tenants will be the ones to lose out if they don’t secure the front door.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

No I own the building and I'm being told this.

I am failing to find anyone who can confirm or assist.

Like I said ask who told you that to point you to the relevant legislation that prohibits you fitting self closers / maglocks to external doors , I know they won't be able to because they are wrong

In the meantime fit a self closer and change the door mechanism so it self locks when it closes, this is by far the simplest and cheapest option for you

Maglock needs a well fitting door or it will be insecure and uvpc frames don’t offer very secure fixing for them.
Many properties use conventional locks , tenants will be the ones to lose out if they don’t secure the front door.

Thanks. Was simply told that it was impossible to fit either to the doors/frames.

Therefore it cannot happen.

Maybe it is the frame that prevents it?

Or perhaps they don't know what they are talking about.

You can get UPVC lock mechanisms or perhaps even modify the one you already have so that when the door closes, you can only open it from the outside with a key, the handle doesn't actually turn the mechanism. That with a closer might be OK? Though I've found living with that type that it was very easy to get locked out!

If you can arrange for the door to close after use, then one of these might be all you need....

https://www.codelocks.co.uk/cl155-mortice-latch

They are mechanical, so need no power, you can set them to need any number of digits in the code from 1 to 10, although the 10 is rather pointless. Though the code numbers can be entered in any order, one wrong digit pressed and it remains locked. The code can be changed as often as you need.

They specify them for indoor use only, but there is nothing much inside to rust and I have had one on my very exposed side door to my garage / workshop for a couple of years without any issues. Just turn the handle from the inside, to open the door. The lock can be turned off as needed. It can be used on the inside, so a code is needed to get out, or the outside, needing a code to get in.

They commonly use the same locks in banks, on the secure doors from the public banking hall, to the secure area.

Thanks. Was simply told that it was impossible to fit either to the doors/frames.

Therefore it cannot happen.

Maybe it is the frame that prevents it?

Or perhaps they don't know what they are talking about.

They don't know what they are talking about

If you can arrange for the door to close after use, then one of these might be all you need....

https://www.codelocks.co.uk/cl155-mortice-latch

They are mechanical, so need no power, you can set them to need any number of digits in the code from 1 to 10, although the 10 is rather pointless. Though the code numbers can be entered in any order, one wrong digit pressed and it remains locked. The code can be changed as often as you need.

They specify them for indoor use only, but there is nothing much inside to rust and I have had one on my very exposed side door to my garage / workshop for a couple of years without any issues. Just turn the handle from the inside, to open the door. The lock can be turned off as needed. It can be used on the inside, so a code is needed to get out, or the outside, needing a code to get in.

They commonly use the same locks in banks, on the secure doors from the public banking hall, to the secure area.

They are good locks, easy to change the code too to stop exresidents gaining entry however the one you have linked too is a light duty one not suitable for a high traffic door , for that you need a heavy duty one

They are also suitable for exterior applications as long as you install the weatherproof gasket too

Mag locks are rubbish on UPVC type doors as the locking force is at the top ...this will cause the door to bow , normally it needs the locking system replacing with a split spindle unit and a lock release fitting in the frame...

Mag locks are rubbish on UPVC type doors as the locking force is at the top ...this will cause the door to bow , normally it needs the locking system replacing with a split spindle unit and a lock release fitting in the frame...

You can buy electrical Yale type latch releases which work with existing Yale locks, rather a mag lock at the top. I used to have one on the small door to my garage, so I could get in with a code, rather than having to remember to take the key to get in. A key would still work to release the lock. I have since changed it to an entirely mechanical code lock, which doesn't require power.

Not a residential building but at work...

We have a timber framed door with large glass panes and it operates on a card swipe.
The door has a closer and inside is a fire exit style bar.
It operates on either the main office answering the bell or our ID cards.
Without looking I believe the fire bar itself is electrically operated to open (not the frame)

Elsewhere we have timber fire doors that have maglocks released by an indoor green button or the card reader outside.

A similar system was in another building but the "bolt" was in the fabric of the building and was shot into the top of the door frame. Same entry exit as above.

Fire alarms released all doors.

My former dentist used what looked like a standard Yale but the receiver (?) on the frame was designed to move/unlock rather than the door. Presumably it would be easier to fit something like that rather than modify the actual door?

Not on a UPVC door ....worst possible type of door for door entry / access control ! believe me I’ve been installing these systems for over 30 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back