Magnaclean Position - With Pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I cannot fit a magnaclean above my boiler so have to revert to a secondary position within the airing cupboard. - photo attached.

From this pic what is the best position to fit the Magnaclean?

View media item 70414

Sponsored Links
Do you have a common return anywhere accessible?

And do I see some strangely positioned cold feed and vent pipes leaving the top of the pic?

Do you have a common return anywhere accessible?

And do I see some strangely positioned cold feed and vent pipes leaving the top of the pic?

No Idea - have just moved into this house and not used to the system (i'm used to Combi's.
Anyway pic below of higher up one pipe goes up into the loft and the other has a bleed valve type thing on it.

View media item 70416

looks like 22mm combined vent and feed before the pump, and possibly aav or manual bleed off the cylinder flow. as for the magnaclean you could do a bit of pipework alteration before the pump, lift the pump higher and put there. AFTER the cold feed and vent pipe

Sponsored Links
Do you have a cold feed and vent, or the combined feed and vent in 22mm? Usually you would have a cold feed in 15mm and a vent in 22mm. I cannot answer the question of whether the 418 can be used on a combined feed and vent system. There is an example of a typical installation on page 16 of my manual, which happens to still be on the sofa as a result of last night's shenanigans.

I converted to a sealed system when the boiler was installed as I don't like gunky expansion tanks. Less chance of crud getting in and knackering the heat exchanger, but more chance of bursting an old, corroded rad etc.

A possibility would be to fit the magnaclean on the rad return as the rads are where the magnetite will be coming from. I would not like you to base that decision on my opinion alone though.

By the way, you shouldn't get the problem I had last night on a Y-plan, provided it is balanced properly.

On preview, I've noticed posts written as I have been writing this, going to post anyway.

looks like 22mm combined vent and feed before the pump, and possibly aav or manual bleed off the cylinder flow. as for the magnaclean you could do a bit of pipework alteration before the pump, lift the pump higher and put there. AFTER the cold feed and vent pipe

Do you mean here ? with the pump moving directly above:

View media item 70417

Stick a Spirotech MB3 in. Easily fit on the flow which is not preferred but better than a leaky ADEY.

I cannot answer the question of whether the 418 can be used on a combined feed and vent system. There is an example of a typical installation on page 16 of my manual, which happens to still be on the sofa as a result of last night's shenanigans.

Good point can someone clarify if the Vaillant 418 is suitable for this set-up?

Given as you're already getting the boiler, it's more a case of is this set up suitable for the boiler, I would have thought. It shouldn't be terribly complicated to install a separate feed and vent if necessary. Hopefully someone will come along with an answer for us!

I cannot answer the question of whether the 418 can be used on a combined feed and vent system. There is an example of a typical installation on page 16 of my manual, which happens to still be on the sofa as a result of last night's shenanigans.

Good point can someone clarify if the Vaillant 418 is suitable for this set-up?

The 418 is OK on a combined feed and vent because it has an overheat stat, as do most modern boilers.

The thinking is that older boilers without an overheat stat, in an overheat situation, the feed would stop the boiler running dry and the vent would allow water and pressure to escape. Obviously a combined setup can't do both at the same time, but relies on the boiler's overheat stat shutting the boiler down instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back