Magnaclean vs Magnabooster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This issue is current for me, though I know its been covered on this forum in the past.

Last year we moved house, and inherited a central heating system which is fitted with a Magnaclean filter.

We had the CH system serviced today by BG under the terms of a Homecare contract, and I asked the engineer if the Magnaclean was part of the service. He said that he could include it, but because BG had identified problems with the Magnaclean and ceased installing it due to leakage problems, any subsequent leaks caused by servicing the filter would not be covered by my contract.

He recommended installation of something called a Magnabooster; there was no hard sell, just a suggestion that as well as being the product currently fitted by BG it was better kit. I declined to have the Magnaclean serviced, just in case it did leak.

Just wondering what folks here think of that advice, and of the costing of a Magnabooster fitted by BG at around £355?

Sponsored Links
I've fitted loads of Magnacleans and only ever had one leak, which was cured by replacing a seal (free of charge from Magnaclean at the time). Given that Magnaboosters are only around £90 to buy, £355 to supply and fit is very steep and definitely not worth the money. Get yourself a spare Magnaclean o-ring kit for about a fiver instead (or see if you can persuade a free one out of the manufacturers)

Thanks for your reply.

The previous owners left some Magnaclean bits and pieces with the paperwork, including a spanner for the lid and two O rings, one large and one small. The larger one appears to be about the same diameter as the lid; would this be the one you're referring to?

Sponsored Links
I assume that you're referring to the isolation valves: they're black.

You already have a perfectly decent working Magnaclean without any leaks.

Spend your £355 on something else.

The earlier models with red valves tended to leak once disturbed
You have the o-rings ready if you are willing to have a go?

The Magnaclean stays put as long as I can be reassured that servicing it myself is feasible. No point in it being there, if I'm too worried about leaks to clean it. And you can rest assured that I was never likely to spend 355 quid on a replacement, at least not this side of Hell freezing over. :0)

Point of my OP was to obtain advice as to whether leak issues with Magnaclean made it too risky for a DIYer to try to service it; and that therefore a replacement which could be cleaned annually by a professional under contract for no extra charge was, in the long term at least, a better option.

Pkent, I certainly intend to have a go, and thanks.

It is a simple 10 min job for any DIYer to clean it.

The only reason anyone would not want to clean themselves would if they thought that its beneath them! Its interesting to see what is inside!

Tony

Tony

Had the BG engineer not warned me that his company had experienced problems with leaks, I'd have tackled the Magnadoofer without a second thought, because the instructions make it look very easy indeed. However, I have experienced the devastation which can be caused by complacency in plumbing matters; hence the request for advice.

I'll be cleaning it soon, and will be back on here wailing like the proverbial Banshee if it leaks.

So long as you close off the isolation valves on either side the worst that can happen is a very slow slight leak when you put the top back on.

You're over-worrying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back