Can / Will British Gas Engineer fit a self supplied item

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having some work done on my system under my Homecare agreement. I was thinking of maybe having a Magnabooster / Magnaclean and a hydroflow installed yet the prices BG charge do appear quite high.

If I was to supply these items myself would the BG engineer be able to fit them? The system is currently drained down waiting for a new tank to arrive, so my other thought was to install the filter myself now, it's likely that the pipework I'd need to install it on would have to be moved / replaced when the new tank goes in anyway.

Failing this is there anyway to get a good price from BG for these items?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
File under "Do British Gas Engineers Do foriegeners ? "

Can't hurt to ask the BG plumber if he can come back after hours, or at the weekend. Everyone needs some folding in their back pocket. If not, get a local plumber to quote.

Sponsored Links

Can't hurt to ask the BG plumber if he can come back after hours, or at the weekend. Everyone needs some folding in their back pocket. If not, get a local plumber to quote.

After hours / weekend sort of misses the opportunity as the system is curently drained and I believe he is likely to actually have to move or replace the pipe that the filter would go on as part of the homecare work. Looks to me like it should take 10-15 minutes to fit whilst doing everything else.
If BG could offer the service based on this fact then I would just get it from them but I assume they don't have the flexibility on pricing to do this.

I lost count of the number of times I was offered cash to do an extra.Never took the money or did the job.Some did and paid the price when something went wrong and customer sent in a complaint and blamed engineer.

After hours / weekend sort of misses the opportunity as the system is curently drained and I believe he is likely to actually have to move or replace the pipe that the filter would go on as part of the homecare work. Looks to me like it should take 10-15 minutes to fit whilst doing everything else.
If BG could offer the service based on this fact then I would just get it from them but I assume they don't have the flexibility on pricing to do this.

there is actually a lower drained down price but it's rarely used as it's a faff to get the correct price sent down to the laptop.

officially they would not do it, it also wouldn't be covered on your homecare

there is nothing i'm aware of in the t+c's that means they wouldn't replace or repair the item after it was out of warranty.

there is actually a lower drained down price but it's rarely used as it's a faff to get the correct price sent down to the laptop.

How do I go about getting a quote for these items. If I have to wait for the engineer to return then it will be too late to source the items myself.

Keep thinking the best option might be to fit the filter to the pipe myself now (as the system has already been drained). When they replace the tank they will re-install the filter properly......job done!

The Hydroflow can wait as I could fit that myself at a push if the BG price is excesssive.

Any idea what the current quote is likely to be for a Magnabooster and Hydroflow fully fitted? Think I can resource them both for about £150.

sorry i don't know the current DD price. it used to be sub £200 for a magnaclean but seeing as BG haven't used those for almost two years that's clearly not a current price.

Hi,

If I was to supply these items myself would the BG engineer be able to fit them? Failing this is there anyway to get a good price from BG for these items?

Thanks.

You seem to imagine that if BG charge you £200 for the Magnaclean then thats because they pay that for them.

The reality is that they will get them for about £44 and the rest is to pay the engineer, his boss, the Managing Director and particularly the shareholders.

A local independent will probably sup-ply and fit one for you for about £170.

Tony

You seem to imagine that if BG charge you £200 for the Magnaclean then thats because they pay that for them.

The reality is that they will get them for about £44 and the rest is to pay the engineer, his boss, the Managing Director and particularly the shareholders.

A local independent will probably sup-ply and fit one for you for about £170.

Tony

No, I realise that BG must get them cheaper than I can get one simply from the number they must purchase.

It just seems wrong to not get one fitted whilst the systems is drained down. To re-fill it with all the chemicals then a week later drain it again only to re-fill it doesn't feel right even though it looks like this might be the cheapest option.

I dont know what Bg are going to do but if their price is too high then why not get an independent to fit it BEFORE you have BG there?

Tony

Unless you have a sludge contamination problem there is not much benefit in fitting one. If you end up with a Magnaclean it has every chance of being the single most unreliable part of the system, ironically.

Hydropath is total DIY, no one gets wet, and it has a plug on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back