magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a magnaclean in my heating system, it is 8mm microbore and the only exessable pipe is a 22mm flow and return to the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard , the rest of the system is in the loft.
Due to the fuel cost the hot water is programed to come on for only two hours per day.
Would the magnaclean work ok if I install it in the flow side of the hot water pipe ?
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Would the magnaclean work ok if I install it in the flow side of the hot water pipe ?

It will work, and be better than not having one, but any debris will have to pass through the boiler first, so it really should be on the return.

it only removes magnetic debris and that comes from the rads.

So its far better in the return from the rads.

But I dont see why you cannot fit it on the return to the boler where its best placed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Why do you suddenly want to install a magnaclean?
Recent system update, 8mm microbore prone to blockages , if you can offer advice on the above subject would love to hear .Plus what do you think is best Magnaclean or spirovent,
Thanks for looking

Magnaclean has a lamentable reputation for leakage and breakage.

The 'warranty' just means they send out another one of their cheaply made products. You have to drain down and fit, refill and vent the system, redose etc. BG have fitted thousands, I'm amused to say, before the penny dropped.

Yes, the Spirotech Magnabooster, and possibly also the Fernox TF1, are superior products. Dirt separators should be fitted on the return.

Despite the adverse publicity on here, I installed a Magnaclean around 18 months ago.
I installed it as I was upgrading my boiler and a few radiators, and therefore flushed & cleaned the system a few times before I fitted the boiler.

For the first month or so, I cleaned opened up & cleaned the Magnaclean regularly, and now I only do it every 3 months or so, or when I'm bored !

About a month ago, I drained & flushed the system down again, and I was amazed at how clean the system was. Its now refilled and dosed with Sentinel again.

Does the Magnaclean work - absolutely ! Despite the pipework & some of the radiators being around 10 years old, its really made some difference to the system water quality.

Does it or the valves leak? No, well mines don't, and I've had it opened for cleaning more times than it was probably intended.

Takes a few minutes to islolate, clean & refit, so all in all, so I really cant fault it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGckHJIaAW0

Sure it only captures magnetic particles, but anyone with even limited knowledge of chemistry will understand that iron oxide or ferric oxide (both known as rust) are magnetic, and probably 99% of the stuff circulating in a CH system, is just that.

From the adverse reports on here, it looks like some folk have had problems with the valves leaking - to be honest, they are bog standard ball valves, and from memory they were updated about 2 years ago to new ones. So I cant see why they would leak, unless they've been mistreated.

At the end of the day, you would of course be better with a magnetic/non magnetic particle filter, however the Magnaclean does a good job - well for me anyway. Its also down to cost, I got the Magnaclean for £50, and fitted it myself. I think the Spirotech Magnabooster is around £90.

The only downside I can see with the Spirotech Magnabooster type dirt collectors, is the magnet isn't very big compared to the Magnaclean, which is absolutely huge !

I'd be interested to see a comparison between the 2 on collecting magnetic particles. These videos may give you an idea how well the Magnaclean collects iron oxide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcoDN6MXu6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=708v9fWLh04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmiOqkgnrHI

Like everything in life, there will always be opinions for & against, so I've offered my opinion to help in your deliberations.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will go for a Spirovent it's made of brass and will last for years .i'm old school don't like plastic .

I think you have made the right choice.

Whilst it is always interesting to read about people who have had a good experience with their Magnaclean, such as Firebladerrw.

But their sample is just 1; we see plenty of broken ones, and have spent a fair deal of our time and money replacing the few we specified on installations.

There's no way I can recommend a product like that, and even if Adey massively improve it, the damage is done, and there are plenty of other manufacturers making durable alternatives. Spirotech being the longest established one, we have never had a faulty Spirovent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back