Magnetic filter fitted loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a householder not a pro.
Thanks for any thoughts.

My wife and I had issues with our Worcester boiler system losing pressure (I bled gas from rads - one in particular vented a lot, repeatedly - and repressurised).

I just located a significant leak at the Fernox TF1 magnetic filter. Both brass valve fittings, inlet below TF1 and outlet above, needed tightening - and even sprayed water when I flexed the TF1 lightly by hand!

I assume these joints had never been tightened enough by pro installer, maybe because TF1 Instructions say 'Special care should be taken not to over-tighten the valve flange nuts that connect to the Fernox TF1 inlet/outlet port'.

So I simply tightened them by what seemed to me a fair (not extreme) amount.

Separately,
I note the TF1 main body also can swivel a little on the TF1 inlet/outlet section, either side of vertical
(to tighten the two parts firmly together, main body leans 5 degrees or so to side).
Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
TF1s leak for a past-time, they're hateful things which should only be inflicted on your worst enemies.

The instructions state the alignment marks on the top MUST be used to avoid leaks, my plumber obviously never read the instructions, leaked till I dismantled and reassembled correctly. Though could only see the marks with the aid of a torch.

TF1's are $hit and will leak if you just look at them, but hey... I'm a plumber so it must be my fault... Can't possibly be a design and/or manufacturer problem :rolleyes:

Edit: I refer to the original TF1's above. I happen to rate the TF1 Omega very highly.

Sponsored Links
Don’t think I’ve ever came across one that isn’t leaking to be honest.

Get it swapped over for a brass one.

I fitted a tf1 and it leaked, last one I ever fitted, only chose it because it fitted nice in the pipework. only now fit pro 2 or flomasta, never had a problem, fitted loads. more bulky but solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back