Fitting a Fernox TF1 filter with limited space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a central heating filter to my system and due to limited space was wondering how to do it and which model would be best.

From what I have been reading, the Fernox TF1 compact is probably best for me but I have several issues locating it as follows:-
- the boiler is located downstairs and the feed and return pipes pass through the ceiling to the airing cupboard. There is insufficient space above the boiler to fit a filter.
- boiler feed enters the airing cupboard and then joins onto a Myson Aerjec, the feed is then directed downwards to a pump and then onto a three way valve. One pipe continues upwards to the loft and I assume this is the top up supply from the tank in the loft.
- according to the Fernox website, the filter should best be installed on the boiler return, but the only return I can see is through the downstairs ceiling as as mentioned there is insufficient room
- Fernox do say that the filter can be installed on the feed side but after the loft top up supply and just before/after the pump.
- My problem is that if I cut the pipes to allow fitting of the TF1 there is no vertical movement in the pipes to allow fitting of the filter compression joints.

I cant see any way around this issue so would welcome any thoughts.

Perhaps an alternative would be to use the magnaclean mini which looks like it uses soldered elbows which would eliminate this issue.

DSCF0092.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG

Sponsored Links
The TF1 is complete and utter sh|te.

Everyone we fitted ended up leaking within a year.

If you are fitting a filter and it HAS to go in that airing cupboard, put it between the pump and the mid position valve.

Sponsored Links
Why are you considering fitting a filter ?.Do you have pre existing heating problems ?.
I had a similar filter fitted and had same restrictions with location due to not enough pipework above boiler.
As per Dan's reply,fit your filter in between the pump and the motorised valve. Consider the spirotrap type of filter,i had one fitted in a previous property and it did trap a lot of debris and is very to flush out if you get a washing machine hose attached to the drain valve.

Also while you have the system drained fit a new pump and best quality pump valves you can buy,as the existing arrangement will want to leak water on refilling,add inhibitor,you know all that.

good luck.

Having fitted all the main brands of filter I would say that the spirotech MB3 is probably the best construction being brass, but the magnaclean is the most effective filter for removing debri. They can be prone to leaking though

Of fitting the magnaclean micro, from memory, unlike the full size version, it has to be fitted with the flow through the bottom connection and return out the top which would mean a bit more pipework for you. The full size version will fit in the space just as well and you can use either top or bottom for flow/return

Thanks for all the replies, the reason for wanting a filter is that my 3 way valve has failed internally whereby the valve doesnt fully seal when the HW is on and CH off. This leads to the upstairs radiators being on when the HW is on. I have recently removed the 3 port valve and replaced it with a Siemens version. The valve was full of sludge and worn internally preventing a full seal. I have changed the 3 port valve about 4 times over the last 12 years, sometimes because of motor failure and sometimes because the valve wasnt sealing fully.

So my thinking was that fitting a filter would prevent this probelm from happening again. I would clean the system by adding a sludge remover and running the system for a few weeks. Presumably the filter would remove the sludge that the cleaner had dislodged. I would then drain the system, refill and add an inhibitor.

I have now bought a Magnaclene Pro, mainly because it can be fitted using elbows and only 90mm of pipe needs cutting out. Since there is no vertical movement in my setup to allow fitting compression joints, the magnaclene approach of using solder elbows seems easier to fit.

you should have bought the magnaclean pro2, 150mm of pipework to cut out, no pipework movement needed, nothing to solder

if you haven't fitted it take it back & change it for the pro2

Spirotech produce a easy to fit filter, nothing to service or clean, just jet the muck out the bottom.

http://www.spirotrapmb3.co.uk/

As for your situation, have the system cleaned using a Powerflush machine, the filter will catch anything that passes through it, but it won't "Clean" a dirty system.

As for Magnacleans, their good, but do tend to have issues with leaking, they've given me nothing but grief over the last few years.

fit the filter between your pump and your mid position valve it is as it says on the tin it is a filter and will catch debris wherever it is fitted, I dont really have a preferance of manufacturer to be honest they are all more of the same but the magna clean lets you see what you have captured from your system water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back