Magnetic Water Conditioners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite simply .... Do they work.
Ie. keep the pipes clean.

There are permanent magnet types, dc current types, pulsed dc current types.
Been in the electronic business for a long time, but I am still sceptical.

Any opinions out there?

Sponsored Links
Any effect on the water from a magnet in or around a pipe will only be temporary.

I was VERY sceptical until some boiler manufacturers started insisting that a 'limefighter' be fitted on the cold supply to combi boilers. In that case, any effect need only be temporary - the water will only spend seconds at most in the boiler immediately after passing the limefighter. Actually doesn't really matter whether it works or not. If you DON'T fit one and the boiler scales up, the manufacturer might well say ' Ah well, you didn't fit one and now look what happened. Tough luck.' If you DO, and the boiler STILL scales up, you have a strong case to go to the manufacturer (IF they said to fit one) and say 'You say fit a limefighter. I did. It's still there but the boiler's scaled up anyway. Your problem!' Dunno how far you'd get with that argument! :evil:

Doesn't matter - it should be cold - or cool, anyway.#

Key question should really be: 'When did you last see a scaled up HX with a limefighter fitted?' Answer: Not often.

What about without a limefighter? Only slightly more often! Fact is that stainless steel HX's don't scale up nearly as easily as other types ansd most ARE S/S these days. Combi deaths are usually for other reasons.

Sponsored Links
Any of you plumber's ever see a badly scaled water cylinder as you see them on the photo from a leafet about 2" thick scale :!: I live in a hard water area and yet I have hardly any scale and even my washing machine heating element are clean after many years :!:

masona said:
Any of you plumber's ever see a badly scaled water cylinder as you see them on the photo from a leafet about 2" thick scale :!: I live in a hard water area and yet I have hardly any scale and even my washing machine heating element are clean after many years :!:

Thanks everyone. Theres the practice , never mind the theory :eek:
My question to "masona" You are implying that it works for you. Assuming there has been a build up of scale do you think Do you think the conditioner would reduce the scale over a period?
Await your comment with interest.
Regards, flounder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back