magnetic water conditioners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, just a general question re magnetic water conditioners DO THEY WORK , hard water area lots of lime scale, any answers please, and not to expensive, REG

Sponsored Links
Magnets and Magnetic Water Softeners Do Not Work

Plain and simple, we feel these devices are a complete fraud.

'Permanent magnetic water conditioning devices have been marketed based on a variety of claims regarding their effect on water hardness and related scale formation. Tests conducted at Purdue University found ....no significant, beneficial variation in the physical or chemical water quality parameters measured.'

The only feasible ways to soften water in a residential application are with :

Water Softeners
Filtersorb Anti-Scalant Systems
Acid injection
Polyphosphate sequestering.
See the testing as seen on TV

People who sell magnets and other devices are usually selling you something that wont do much for you. To prove it, simply measure the hardness of the water before and after the magnet and you will find no difference.

From a Chemist

I just wanted to say that magnetic water conditioners are a fad device that comes along every 30 years or so and they have never been proven to actually soften water. I browsed through websites of people selling these things and the only scientific evidence that was offered was pretty scanty. As a chemist I can tell you that to 'simply change the size of the water molecule' is not simple, it's impossible. Furthermore, a magnetic field will have little if any effect on water molecules, which have a virtually nonexistent magnetic moment. Other claims I've read about them are that they 'change the ionic charge' or 'alter the ionic activity of water'. This is also malarky.

Now I can conceive of a possibility that they could have an small effect on pipe scaling, since there are electrochemical processes at work there, and the magnets could possibly produce a small electric field somehow, but this would have no effect on water softening, only on adhesion of the materials to pipes. I seem to recall that many places that have large boiler systems use an electrical system that helps prevent pipe scaling, but its a lot more complicated than slapping a permanent magnet around your water pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hi merlin50, well I asked for answers and I think you have given me the most comprehensive answer I could have asked for, I have always been sceptical of the claims made but after a plumber mate (now retired) of mine had one fitted by British Gas (which he feels works) at between £150 & £200 I started to wonder but I was still not convinced and after reading your answer I know why, Thanks Reg

Hi masona, thanks for your response, I think merlin50 has answered my question unless someone can dispute it, Reg

Hi Whitespirit, thanks for your response a little more than I was willing to gamble I'm afraid on an unproven for certain product, but thanks again, Reg

its a lot more complicated than slapping a permanent magnet around your water pipe.
This is what always crossed my mind, the magnet thingy got a lot of work to do specially with the speed of the water in the pipe to control I would've thought.

However scalewatcher are the only company giving money back guarantee if you're not happy in under 6 mths, what is there to lose or is there a catch?

Hi masona, yes your right enough I think they are one of the only ones to give guarantee like that, thanks for the reminder, Reg

The magnetic scale reducers do not remove the limescale or soften the water. They simpy reduce the amount of scale that sticks to the insides of pipes and to taps, showerheads etc.

if you want to soften the water then you need a proper water softener plumbed into the incoming mains. These dont come cheap however.

Hi petit_pablo, yes i'm afraid your right water softeners are an arm & a leg don't think I'll go there on a government pension, thanks Reg

Hi peaps2, thanks for that i've looked at the web site all different prices any idea on something reasonable, I just want to stop the limescale more than anything, REG

We had it fitted to soften the water after the washing machine clogged, not had the problem since. Have no clue about any other products, sorry.

Oh the boiler is clear also.. Expensive but the cost of repair to appliances is a troubled area was worth it in the end..

Sponsored Links
Back