combimate or magnetic conditioner, which is best

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Combimate fitted about 450mm above a Grant combo boiler in a very warm room (29ish degrees C). A different heating engineer to the one who fitted it 6 years ago, says I should replace it with a magnetic water conditioner as the Combimate can do more harm than good to the boiler. what are your recommendations from the experienced engineers on here please? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the siliphos balls can break apart and block the heat exchanger. Magnetic ones are snake oil as far as I can see, but I've had good success with the Hydroflow HS38

To be honest I’ve seen all sorts of devices each with its own merits but the weirdest one was 4 old telly magnets sawn in half strapped over the main incoming pipe and believe it or not no scale anywhere in the boiler or system. Bob

Sponsored Links
Hard to say how often it happens but it can be a problem with both plate and multipass designs

I fitted a 'Water King' over 25 years ago to a house and there is zero limescale in the property, I even replaced the immersion element about 5 years ago and the cylinder was completely clear of any limescale inside.

Andy
Good to know. Never heard of that one before but seems to operate on a similar principle to the HS38. Always nice to gave options and installers with practical experience of these things actually working.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. Looks like HS38 it is then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back