Which Filter (including location guide)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I was wondering if you could help please? It has been recommended that I fit a magnetic filter to my central heating system (I have a newish boiler and an old system). The central system is a vented type with a condensing boiler.

I was therefore looking for recommendations on which filter to fit please. I have carried out some research and would like one that will remove both magnetic and non-magnetic particles. I have been looking at the Magaclean which I understand is now fitted with a special filter that will also remove non-magnetic particles, however I have read that the lids can leak and that the isolation valves can fail early. I have also looked at the Fernox TF1 however I have also read some bad reviews about these. I am open to suggestions so if anyone can recommend one of these, or any other make model, I would be grateful.

From the research I have read that although they can be fitted anywhere in the system they are most effective if added between the last rad and the boiler. I am therefore considering fitting the filter in the cupboard where my boiler is located. I was wondering if this would be acceptable. I have added some pictures and diagrams (sorry for the artistic skills :) ) below. The flow and returns are currently reduced from 28mm to 22mm just above the boiler and I would need to move the reducer further up the pipe in order to make room for the filter.

Boiler in cupboard
View media item 66673
Existing plumbing to boiler
View media item 66674
Proposed plumbing to boiler
View media item 66675
Thanks very much for your help....

Sponsored Links
Don't know much about the filters, have heard better things about the tf than the magaclean.

The plumbing your suggesting sounds fine.

Put the drain under the filter and get rid of those plastic fittings, you can get 28mm filters.

Edit. Sorry didn't realise how tight it was for the drain. Your drawing looks ok.

Thanks both for your help.

Does anyone have any further recommendations on the make/model of filter please?

Sponsored Links
So which one did you go for then?

I always use the ManaClean Proffessional 2, more for the easy of installation then for its protection aspect.
I'm not to impressed with it tho, looking to fit another type of fitter which gives better protection on all my installs now.
Still deciding if I should go with the Magnaclean Twin Tech, which collects magnetic and non-magnetic particles.

The newer Magnacleans collect non-magnetic particles, and there's a retro-fit part to convert older models.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back