Oil Boiler Replacement Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First off great forum, it’s kept my 28 year old Worcester PJ12/14 combi oil boiler running for waaaay longer than it should have and that brings me to the reason for my post.

I bought the house I live in 5 years ago and carried out two extensions during which I moved and re installed the oil boiler in its current location. I've just fitted a new oil pump to the PJ12/14 to get it up and running (again!) but the time has come for me to bite the bullet and retire the old girl.

I have contacted a local OFTEC engineer who was recommended to me by the builders who carried out a couple of extensions to my house a few years ago.

He visited last night and made some recommendations and statements regarding new boilers which I would appreciate a second opinion on.

First off he informed me that if I fit another combi boiler it will give me more problems than my current boiler due to the nature of manufacturing of new boilers and he also stated that the likely life of a regularly serviced combi boiler would be about 7 - 10 years.

His reasons were that living in a very hard water area (Norfolk) that degradation to the heat exchanger would rapidly reduce the efficiency of the boiler. Working as a Commissioning Engineer for Anglian Water I can appreciate that 1) mechanical and electrical components are no longer built to last and that 2) calcification due to hard water are real problems.

Based on this his advice was to fit an unvented cylinder system which he stated will last longer and not suffer from calcification and will be providing me with a quote for installing both types of system.

He also said he would install a magnetic "water conditioner" to help prevent calcification in the combi boiler which as an engineer working in the water industry I an extremely sceptical about as many chemical engineers I work with have said they don’t work.

I would appreciate your comments on the above considering the following:

1) I have a small family just me the wife and our son and we are very water and energy conscious keeping heating and hot water usage to a minimum.

2) We have an open fire in the kitchen / living room and an solid fuel stove in our living room which we use as secondary heating sources or as primary heating when we only need to warm the place a bit.

3) We have a 4.5 bar cold water supply pressure (measured last night).

4) I can and do fix and service just about every appliance I own.

Could anyone also comment on water conditioners and recommend makes of oil boilers, the engineer recommended Worcester Camray for a combi.

Sorry it’s such a long post but this will be an expensive decision which I do not want to get wrong.

Sponsored Links
I bought the house I live in 5 years ago and carried out two extensions during which I moved and re installed the oil boiler in its current location. I've just fitted a new oil pump to the PJ12/14 to get it up and running (again!) but the time has come for me to bite the bullet and retire the old girl.

Why get rid of it? Possibly change the burner. Maybe your oftec man has a secondhand Riello which are generally good, otherwise a Sterling ST108

I have contacted a local OFTEC engineer who was recommended to me by the builders who carried out a couple of extensions to my house a few years ago.

He visited last night and made some recommendations and statements regarding new boilers which I would appreciate a second opinion on.

First off he informed me that if I fit another combi boiler it will give me more problems than my current boiler due to the nature of manufacturing of new boilers and he also stated that the likely life of a regularly serviced combi boiler would be about 7 - 10 years.

His reasons were that living in a very hard water area (Norfolk) that degradation to the heat exchanger would rapidly reduce the efficiency of the boiler. Working as a Commissioning Engineer for Anglian Water I can appreciate that 1) mechanical and electrical components are no longer built to last and that 2) calcification due to hard water are real problems.

Based on this his advice was to fit an unvented cylinder system which he stated will last longer and not suffer from calcification and will be providing me with a quote for installing both types of system.

Reasonable advice. Though you could also think about a vented cylinder. Much cheaper to buy, and to maintain.

He also said he would install a magnetic "water conditioner" to help prevent calcification in the combi boiler which as an engineer working in the water industry I an extremely sceptical about as many chemical engineers I work with have said they don’t work.

Let himself down on this one. Magnetic and electronic conditioners are not sold in the USA as they have an advertising standards authority with big teeth, and they use them. Firms have been heavily fined for making the claims they did about magnetic devices, and their directors have been banned from running firms again.

They are snake oil equivalent, and no company will give you verified test data, only testimonials and anecdotes. A silicon polyphosphate doser is the lowest cost effective unit, such as the Combimate.

I would appreciate your comments on the above considering the following:

1) I have a small family just me the wife and our son and we are very water and energy conscious keeping heating and hot water usage to a minimum.

2) We have an open fire in the kitchen / living room and an solid fuel stove in our living room which we use as secondary heating sources or as primary heating when we only need to warm the place a bit.

3) We have a 4.5 bar cold water supply pressure (measured last night).

4) I can and do fix and service just about every appliance I own.

Could anyone also comment on water conditioners and recommend makes of oil boilers, the engineer recommended Worcester Camray for a combi.

Sorry it’s such a long post but this will be an expensive decision which I do not want to get wrong.

That boiler might be ok, but since the Worcester Greenstar, I don't go anyway near Worcester boilers.

I'd fit an electric shower, and an undersink water heater, a vented HW tank and use an immersion heater (as we do here), and forget a new boiler. Keep the old one running as long as possible. Oil will be so expensive soon, that electric is likely to be the cheaper option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back