Magnretic dirt in system

B

Bodd

I have been called back to a central heating I installed over a year ago.
New system boiler, unvented cylinder, Radiators, and copper pipework. (no old system was used)

The whole of the downstairs did not heat up.
So I flushed it through and found metal debri was causing the blockage>

I always flush my systems (X300 on this occssion) so what have I done wrong

Any one else experianced this?

Bodd

Sponsored Links
Did you add your x100 afterwards?

I always do John 2liters on this occasion as it is a big system. But even if I had'nt do you really think it would block up so soon. I used 22mm in 3/4 of the system.

Bodd

I wouldn't have thought so, after a year and 2 litres of x100, the water should still be near enough clear.

Sponsored Links
is it sealed or open?

Hello Mick

Its a sealed system (system boiler).
To be honest I think John has hit the nail on the head. What with builder removing rads for decorating purposes and so on I reckon it just did not have enough inhibitor.
Although I know the importance of inhibitor I'm still surprised by the blockage.

My problem

Bodd

inhbitior isnt essential in a sealed system. I would suspect a rogue rad, a leak or excessive topping up/fresh water.

inhbitior isnt essential in a sealed system. I would suspect a rogue rad, a leak or excessive topping up/fresh water.

I know these days rads are not manufactured so well and still contain alot of debri, and even more so I have found designer rads and towels rails even worse (6 of)

I've attended systems that have never seen a drop of inhibitor and go for years.

I hope your right Mick. Customer is willing to pay (out of warranty) but I don't want to throw excuses and will deal with it.

But I just want to no why.

Thanks for that Mick, it makes me feel better about the situation.

Bodd

Sounds to me that you didn't flush the system properly. How did you flush it?

Hello Evsy

Flushed it cold by putting mains throgh system and draining straight through drain cock. Then circulated x300 round a heated system and flushed the same way.

How do you do it.

Bodd

I know these days rads are not manufactured so well and still contain alot of debri, and even more so I have found designer rads and towels rails even worse (6 of)
But I just want to no why.

Designer rads are the worst your spot on. I went to warranty call on a vaillant system boiler on a new system, 6 months old. Absolutely full of chunks of metal blocking the pump every 20mins i kid you not. UFH and designer rads. Unsure of culprit but fairly sure you cant get chunks of metal out of ufh !
Lots of countries on the continent such as germany dont even bother with inhibitor. If you've got a sealed system there's no where for air to get in therefore no corrosion.

I run the heating for an hour or so first. I flush through the entire pipework through a drain cock and the filling loop topping it up. Then I flush each rad individually until water is clear. I've had a similar job recently where we installed entire new ch system and we used x300 flushed it all out and then added x100 back in july. Had a call last sat the boiler was leaking and I went there and a pump o ring had perished. Drained down to change the pump and it was filthy. we can't of flushed all the x300 out and its only been 3 months and its gone black. If I were you I'd go there drain every leg down completely and flush it out and add x100.

i dont think there's any need for x300 personally. The only thing you need to flush on a complete new install is install debris and flux. Install debris will come out easy and flux will disolve in hot water. Hot and cold flush is satisfactory imo.

I agree its the first and last time we've used it. Do hot and cold flush on new systems and existing systems do the same and install a magnaclean. Don't care what anyone says in the 2 yrs we been using them I've never had one go wrong

I run the heating for an hour or so first. I flush through the entire pipework through a drain cock and the filling loop topping it up. Then I flush each rad individually until water is clear. I've had a similar job recently where we installed entire new ch system and we used x300 flushed it all out and then added x100 back in july. Had a call last sat the boiler was leaking and I went there and a pump o ring had perished. Drained down to change the pump and it was filthy. we can't of flushed all the x300 out and its only been 3 months and its gone black. If I were you I'd go there drain every leg down completely and flush it out and add x100.

I've pretty much done that and have added a Kamco chemical I can't remember the name. I'll go back next week and do the same.
Originally planned to install a magnaclean but now think what I'm doing will be ample

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back