Mahogany pvc frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, My mahogany pvc window frames are losing the shine and need restoring can I use pvc restorer johnson do a good one but its for white pvc any suggestion what to use or anything you use?
thanks tully

Sponsored Links
Any exterior colour will loose it's colour/shine and fade over time. It is just the nature of the beast.
While modern upvc will claim to have a UV barrier to avoid fading I cannot see it preventing it over an extended period of time.

The sun will slowly bleach it.

Fading will be more noticeable with darker colours and woodgrain effect. I am doubtful that you will get a return in the original sheen/colour. But a bit of polish will help. The only pain is that the woodgrain pits can be a trap for dirt. So it may require extra work to polish it up.

--

I would consider a good quality car wax after cleaning the windows. I do not see why a good car wax, which is designed for the plastic bumpers on cars would not work a treat. They often contain UV barriers so it may aid in reducing fading over time.
I used it on my white uPVC and it brought them up a treat.

---

Regarding the PVC restorer, it depends what it does. The woodgrain is usually a laminate layer/skin. If the restorer is slightly abrasive cleaner it may not be a good idea.

Use neutral non-abrasive cleaners, and polish.

In fact I used a wash/wax car wash for the fames too. Again, if it is designed to be neutral to all the rubber seals and plastic on cars, then I do not see what the issue would be. Test on a small area, polish a small area and compare.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back