Main boiler pressure drops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, My Main Boiler is dropping pressure on a daily basis, it’s fine whilst the heating is on...... then overnight the pressure drops below 1 & stops the boiler working. I go out top up pressure and it comes back on. Then I repeat this daily. I can’t find any leaks in the system.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Imnot sure how to do that. Do I need a digital gauge???

Or can I use a foot pump?

Do I need to drain the whole system inc radiators?

Any water coming out of a copper pipe on the external wall where the flue is? Either constant drips or a burst of water when the heating gets up to temperature.
What does the pressure guage say when the heating is up to temperature?

Yes there is mate. Water coming out of the pipe outside........ I put a bag round to test & it’s now got few drops in.

The pressure when running is on around 2, someone’s just in the green sometimes slightly in the red???

Thanks again for you’re help

Your problem is your pressure relief valve is letting by, needs replacing. Also the pressure vessel charge should be checked when it's replaced.

Could I check the pressure myself? Would I have to drain down the whole system inc rads, or just isolate the flow pipes & drain boiler?

Could I check the pressure myself? Would I have to drain down the whole system inc rads, or just isolate the flow pipes & drain boiler?
Yes in theory - just isolate the boiler and release the water pressure. You're still going to need someone competent to replace the prv. If the pressure vessels inside the combustion chamber the answer is no to both though as you'd need to check the flue and gas rate etc before recommissioning
Ps disclaimer-- that doesn't include me

Easily! If the system has a special valves.

Attachments

• refilling.png
    refilling.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 187
  • no digital.jpg
    no digital.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 211
The PRV may not be faulty, and the problems could be down to the expansion vessel. The PRV should release water at 3bar, and if the pressure going too high due to a faulty expansion vessel, then the PRV could well be acting normally. The engineer should check both before replacing anything though.

The caveat here of course, is that you shouldn't be taking the cover off the boiler, and heaven forbid that I suggest you use youtube to learn how to check the pressure in the expansion vessel. With the number of times that you've refilled the system, you're inhibitor will now need topping up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back