Main Combi 25 ECO - Hot Water Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Wise people of DIYnot, please be kind, I'm new.

Info:
1. It's a 6 year old Main Combi ECO25. (wasn't my choice)
2. Not serviced regularly. (shame on me)
3. Central Heating works, seemingly, fine.

The Issue:
1. Hot water is warm and low pressure which increases and decreases in temp and to a small extent, better pressure.

In more detail, the boiler fires up and heats to display '90' (which I think shouldn't be going over 60?!) and then it stops burning and drops to '80' before it fires up again, I should add it usually reduces to '75' before it starts to increase. It does this continually and the tap pressure and temperature actually seems highest when the boiler is showing 75 - 80.

2. The boiler pressure drops so that it needs topping up roughly once a day. I can't find any leaks anywhere and a very minor few drips from the drain off pipe (not sure the name, the one that lets water out if the pressure is too high)

So this would lead me to think possibly the pressure relief valve is maybe at fault? Would this cause the above symptoms though for the hot water,or lack of.....

Attempts to fix so far:
1. New Diverter valve installed.
The last one seemed so clogged up with sludge that the diverting part just wasn't moving anywhere. Reconditioned one cost me £75.

2. New heat exchanger installed.
After the diverter valve replacement not making a difference and more research, I figured it must be this. I tried to clean my old one out but no special products or tools, I got a reconditioned one for £45.

3. MagnaClean cleaned.
I'd never been able to open this up but thought it must be clogged and so with some serious effort, got it open and it was rather gunked up. I've cleaned it out a couple of times over the days and it comes out relatively clean each time now.

4. Shut off the tap to CH.
Just in case i thought maybe the diverter wasn't working for some reason and this may help, it didn't.

I'm stuck now thinking it may be something to do with the thermistor? I just don't know.

I'm also a total novice but love to get busy and learn how things work. I would never touch anything that involved the gas for obvious reasons but from exploring these super helpful forums, i'm glad I didn't call an engineer straight away as I've read stories about them just putting leak sealer in and screwing things up even more!

I'm happy I vaguely know my way around parts of a boiler now and can replace a diverter value or heat exchanger within a few minutes :D

Thanks in advanced for any help, feedback, comments or whatever.

Best,
Charlie

Sponsored Links
I am no a heating engineer but from the symptoms you describe the - mainly thr low pressure I can only imagine that the diverter value is suspect. This valve changes the heating between the rads and the hot water but if its not moving fully when you put hot water demand on it then its like only turning the tap on a bit as it will restrict the flow of the hot water I think.

I am no a heating engineer but from the symptoms you describe the - mainly thr low pressure I can only imagine that the diverter value is suspect. This valve changes the heating between the rads and the hot water but if its not moving fully when you put hot water demand on it then its like only turning the tap on a bit as it will restrict the flow of the hot water I think.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back