Main earth - options?

Nothing against TT, but it just seems simpler for if the DNO can give me an earth rather than get someone knocking in rods and having to RCD-protect all circuits.

Generally speaking, you would be RCD-protecting all circuits to comply with 17th edition anyway. The only saving by going PME would be not having to bang in an earth rod.

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, you would be RCD-protecting all circuits to comply with 17th edition anyway.
If you're doing a rewire and you don't want all the circuits on an RCD there are a number of perfectly feasible ways to do that and still comply with the 17th.

But not if you have a TT supply.

Just phoned EDF networks who have quoted nearly £300 for TN-S, or thousands for PME. I asked if they could install TN-C-S and he said that it something I should organise myself via a spark.

Does this seem correct?

So it looks like I'll be calling a spark - and according to EDF, HE can install TN-C-S, or I can stick with TT and ask the spark to bang in earth rod(s).

Sponsored Links
Thanks holmslaw for confirming that - I'm not going mad after all. I did query that installing TN-C-S would involve changing the service head, but he said that 'an electrcian will do that' :eek:

TN-S is attractive since I will ideally want a couple of circuits RCD-free. I have a spark coming over today to have a look for me and if I end up with an earth rod and a 100mA RCD, then so be it.

TNCS and PME are the same thing and only the dno can provide it.

That is true, BUT, the DNO offered him TN-S at £300 or PME (TNC-S) for thousands.

Anyways, how do you manage to contact EDF from Zaire, that must be tricky unless...

oh, I think I'm beginning to understand. You aren't in Zaire at all, are you? Have you been lying to us all this time?

Anyways, how do you manage to contact EDF from Zaire, that must be tricky unless...

423063840_9ec11d3c37.jpg

:?: :?: :?:

That's how I contact them anyway... :idea:

Well spark came, had a look, did a quick test and said my earth via the service pipes was not a danger but it did need upgrading (clearly). He said he could install a rod, but suggested that I contact EDF again to replace the service head instead - all the new ones he'd seen came with either TN-S or TN-C-S.

So I will call EDF again and ask for a new service head. Bloke I spoke to was Brian - didn't know his arse from his earths.

Maybe it's worth remembering that a couple of years ago I discovered a broken service head in a house I had been letting. Called DNO saying a live conductor was exposed (it was the neutral). 2 hours later I had a brand new service head with upgraded main fuse to 100A and a shiny new earth clamped on the to the sheath.

You're in Surrey, is that old Seeboard territory? Not the best PES I ever worked for.

In my experience, if you want anything technical, you are much better off sending a letter than making a phone call. It will be tracked, and passed along until it reaches someone competent to deal with it.

Keep the letter very short and to the point.

Yes it's old Seeboard. I will have a good, close look at it tomorrow and see if it's cracked or oozing tar. With any luck, it will be dangerous and need immediate replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back