Main equipotential bonding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while back an electrician told me my external gas meter cupboard needs bonding. I've got glued laminate flooring in the room where the meter cupboard is and he said the only way was to take the floor up. The thought of pulling it up has stopped me getting the work done but I'm wondering if there's any other way. Could it run in the expansion gap between the laminate and the skirting and be covered with trim? It'd even be easier to take off the skirting and put it behind new skirting. What are the requirements? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A while back an electrician told me my external gas meter cupboard needs bonding. I've got glued laminate flooring in the room where the meter cupboard is and he said the only way was to take the floor up. The thought of pulling it up has stopped me getting the work done but I'm wondering if there's any other way.
I don't know if it helps at all, but there is no requirement to bond anything outside your house. What may need main equipotential bonding is the gas pipe where it enters your house (where it first becomes visible/accessible inside your house). Even that may not be required if the gas supply to the meter is in plastic pipe and the meter is appreciably above ground level.

Kind Regards, John

Could it run in the expansion gap between the laminate and the skirting and be covered with trim? It'd even be easier to take off the skirting and put it behind new skirting.
No - you aren't allowed to have concealed cables there.

• [wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

No - you aren't allowed to have concealed cables there.
Are we sure that 522.6 is intended to apply to cables which only contain a protective conductor? After all, one of the acceptable options for a cable not installed in safe zones is for it to have an "earthed metallic covering" - which a protective conductor surely has :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am.

Are you seriously suggesting that this has an earthed metallic covering?

CA10SGY.JPG

Yes, I am. Are you seriously suggesting that this has an earthed metallic covering?
I am suggesting that it would make absolutely no electrical sense to put an earthed metallic covering around an earthed conductor - it would serve absolutely no purpose.

Kind Regards, John

It would only make sense if you read "cable" to mean "any cable even if it is not a live conductor" or "any cable even if it is a telephone or alarm or earth or loudspeaker cable" or "any cable even if it is being used as a washing line and not carrying any electricity whatsoever"

All of which would be equally absurd.

It would only make sense if you read "cable" to mean "any cable even if it is not a live conductor" or "any cable even if it is a telephone or alarm or earth or loudspeaker cable" or "any cable even if it is being used as a washing line and not carrying any electricity whatsoever" ... All of which would be equally absurd.
True, but I spoke of "electrical sense", and it still would not have any of that in any of the (wording) scenarios you postulate!

Kind Regards, John

Never mind all that - what do the regulations actually say?

If this is going turn into another of your tedious and arrogant claims that what they say doesn't matter because you think you ought to guess what the intention is, and then comply with said imagined requirements rather than comply with the written ones, I'm out.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there must be millions of homes around the U.K. which have cables running behind skirting boards and similar places which were installed before the whole idea of "safe zones" was introduced.

There may be (not knowing when that idea was introduced).

But there are probably "millions" of homes without RCD protection on lighting circuits with concealed switch drop cables.

There are probably "millions" of homes with all sorts of things "wrong" with their installations - either things which no longer comply, or never did.

None of that justifies not complying with the current regulations when installing new stuff.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible that I don't have an internal shutoff valve? There is the street side one before the meter which I have always used. I have a gas tap to the right of the fireplace and the only other exposed gas pipe is a mustard coloured one coming up to the boiler. My water stopcock is under the stairs but no gas one. (The pipe work there is behind plasterboard with a cutout for the tap.) Not sure what would need to be done.

There is normally only a shut off valve on the consumer side of the meter wherever it is.
Are you sure it is on the supply side?

The pipe must enter the premises somewhere.
Can you see outside where it goes through the wall?
If the only visible pipe inside is to the boiler then would it be possible to run the cable to there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back