Main fuse & meter query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought a fixer upper which is going to need a full rewire.

I've removed the breakfast bar so I can actually get at the fuse box and meter but there appears to be some redundant kit which I'm not sure what it's for or who can remove it.

I believe the system used to have a storage heater on economy 7 hence the single fused spur/isolator off the main fuse but i'm not sure why this is wired directly into the main incoming fuse or what the Ratio Teleswitch is for.

I contacted EDF to have a smart meter installed and the guy that came out said he couldn't do it as it was a non standard installation and that I'd need to speak to Western Power. Western power have been out to look at it and stated that the incoming supply all looks fine up to their main fuse, and that everything else beyond that is the electricity suppliers responsibility. Western Power's only only comment was that the sparky would need to check and test the earth connection when installing the new fuse box.

If everything from the main fuse to the meter is the responsibility of my electricity supplier, I assume the EDF just need to send a meter installer that is qualified enough to remove the Radio Teleswitch and the fused spur wired into the main fuse, though not sure how they would disconnect the fused spur from the main fuse if they don't have access?

20210208_154244.jpg

Sponsored Links
SUNRAY. Please don't get involved in this. RF Lighting is a bully and a stupid one as well. He cannot accept anything anyone says without demanding proof. Even for an unimportant thing like the number of countries using ES lamps.

By the way, I'm not a blatant liar. Occasionally someone can be misinformed. That does not make them a liar.

Sponsored Links
Western power have been out to look at it and stated that the incoming supply all looks fine up to their main fuse, and that everything else beyond that is the electricity suppliers responsibility
They are correct, however the electricity supplier will not want any of the old E7 items, and probably won't want to remove them either without a significant amount of hassle.
It's a fairly typical older E7 arrangement that would have been used for electric heating, however as the property has gas, it's entirely pointless.

Any competent electrician could remove the E7 teleswitch and connect the existing fusebox directly to the meter, as that particular one has a separate cover for the consumer side connections.
You can then have the meter changed by whichever supplier you want.

....Any competent electrician could remove the E7 teleswitch and connect the existing fusebox directly to the meter, as that particular one has a separate cover for the consumer side connections.
Does it also have a built-in isolator?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back