Wiring a sub main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an overhead power supply coming into the front of my house, with meter and fuse box etc in the hall. Because I want to put on a porch, the main supply has to be moved and Western Power will put the meter (and an isolating switch) into an outside box.
So now I need the meter connected to the existing fuse box.
My question is, is there any reason why I should not do this myself?
I can drill through the wall; fit the trunking. After that it's only one cable to attach at both ends?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Not really enough to go on....

Are you actually talking about a submain, or just tailing in... if the former are you competant to select the correct switchfuse and cabling for the job

Are the DNO providing an isolator, or are they expecting some tails to be left for them to connect?

Do the DNO want to see any kind of cert/report on the installation?

Hi. (Just had to Google DNO!). They're going to run the new supply cable into the new meter box, then take the meter from indoors and put it into that box and connect it. Then they're going to fit an isolator with it.
I then have to connect from that isolator (through the wall) to the fuse box.
I thought it would be easy to see where to connect to in the isolator, and where the existing wires are taken out of the fuse box.
I also thought I could find out what cable to use, from someone who knows about such things. And the switchfuse; am I right in thinking that comes after the isolator?
I don't know about a report on the installation; I'll find out on Monday.
Is that just tailing in? I don't know the appropriate terminology. :)

It must be costing a fair bit to move the supply? For the amount extra it will be you might be as well getting an electrician as any mistakes could be very costly (burn your house down, kill you etc).

The tails can only be a maximum of (usually) 3m unless you put in a switchfuse. Also if the cables are hidden or may be subject to damage (are you competent and qualified to decide this?) they will need to be protected - eg use SWA.

Sponsored Links
Hi Skenk.
They only have to move the supply from the existing junction box under the eaves, down the front wall to the new box, transfer the meter to it and connect up. And supply and fit the isolator. They supply the meter box, which I have to fit, and for that they're charging £250.

From there to the fusebox is maybe 2 metres; a hole through the wall, then straight up to the fusebox in some trunking. 2 hours work? Maybe 3?
I've had a quote of £360 for that, which includes the switchfuse. I think that's excessive, which is why I'd rather do it myself if it's feasible.
But it's not only the cost; it's about finding somebody to actually turn up and do it on the day. I don't want to be without power for days!!

Obviously I'd want to do it right, which is why I'm asking on here.
Western Power may veto it anyway. I'll phone them tomorrow.

I shouldn't imagine you need a switchfuse if its just a 2m run straight through wall and up in a bit of trunking

The price you were quoted... are you sure it didn't include a significant amount of testing of the installation as well?

Hi Adam,
No, the price was for exactly what I described, and any extras would be extra.
However, I've got another quote now from a well-recommended electrician. He also wants to fit a switchfuse, but his price is £190. That seems fairer to me, and I'll probably go with that.
All credit to Western Power who have been VERY helpful on this.

And thanks to both of you for your interest. :D

Goodness someone who has got a result from the DNO and managed to find a sensible price for works.

I have no idea of your property, the age of wiring and fittings. But there are certain considerations should the internal aspect of your electrical system not be up to standard.

I'd be weary of any phone based quote- yes he has offered the work for a price, but should he find anything else, then there could be extras.

Earth bonding 10mm cables between gas meter and water cock, back to the main earth for the property is one (and you can diy that !).

Get the guy to visit and firm up costs based on both the known requirements and any he may have to add on as extra work.

Does your property have an earth rod as the main earth or do you have a cable connection via the DNO supply ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back