Moving meter and consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post! Done a search but can't find the answer, so any advice appreciated.

I have a cottage with a dodgy extension which is due to be demolished and rebuilt (the extension only). The current Electric meter and CU is on a wall that's due to be demolished, and ideally we'd like the CU replaced in roughly the same position when the extension is rebuilt.

The whole house will be re-wired at some point and it's an overhead supply feed.

I'm thinking of getting an external box for the meter and an isolation switch fitted - which Western Power can do. Is it acceptable to fit a second 'temporary' external box (same spec as WP supplied box) adjacent to it with a temporary CU in and a couple of sockets for site power installed? I can then rewire house with proper CU and connect up tails from outside meter to new CU when done and loose the second external box?

Is it good practice to run meter tails outside from the meter box to the new entry point into the building to meet the new CU? Is SWA or conduit needed in this case?

Will Western Power connect to the temp CU only if the CU is all installed, and signed off or will they leave unconnected on the isolator switch?

I will be using a registered sparky - just want to have some advice first to gauge the job!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Generally yes, but the DNO will not usually supply an earth (a lot of overhead is PME TNC-S) to a temporary supply, so you will have to use TT earthing.
If there is a DNO earth it could be connected to the permanent supply

OK thanks Westie101.

We have TT. An earth spike is close to the proposed location of the CU temporary box so I guess that can all hook up to be safe and legal.

Meter tails in Metal conduit or SWA? I know that 3 metres is usually the max limit for tails - but can be longer if a fused isolator is used?

Cheers.

I would think either would suffice, If fitting a fused isolator the meter tails finish there, anything downstream would be a sub-main.

The restriction in tail length is to ensure that the cut-out fuse will operate for a fault in that zone

Sponsored Links
Just a couple of tips,

WPD charge LOADS to fit an outside box, you can buy them from Jewsons for about £18.00+VAT, fit it yourself and they will connect into it. Or Jewsons sell the proper recesed meter box's for about £11.00+VAT.

WPD will only fit an "isolator" not a fused isolator, so if you are going to be running longer than 3M, get a fused isolator yourself and they will fit it for you.

As said, they will move the meter and the service head, probably retail from the head to the meter and connect the meter to an isolator but that is where their responsibility ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back