Main HE15 Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'd be grateful if I could get A second opinion on an issue that we have had with our boiler over the last 10 days or so.

The boiler itself is c. 7 years old and generally has given us no issues – it was last serviced in September 2013.

At the start of last week, we began to notice that the boiler was shutting down completely, by that I mean that all three lights (Lockout/Burner/Mains) on the front of the boiler were off and we consequently had intermittent hot water/heating.

We called the chap who serviced the boiler and upon inspection he diagnosed the offending part to be the gas valve which he replaced for us.

Pretty quickly, we concluded this hadn’t changed the issue of the boiler cycling on and off and we was told that when the gas valve goes it often causes the PCB to go as well – he has now changed this for us.

This still didn’t solve the issue and by now, the problem seemed to be getting worse. i.e. when we first raised the issue the boiler was staying on for several hours at a time whereas now the cycling on and off was far more frequent.

Last night he changed the sensors, I think he mentioned the thermistor and he managed to get the boiler to fire up again.
All appeared well but as he was leaving, the boiler shut off completely again – i.e. no mains light again which I’m sure can’t be right?
I asked if it that was how our boiler should operate and was assured that when the boiler reached temperature it would shut down, cool to the appropriate temperature and then re-start again.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this – our boiler manual makes no mention of this being normal operation and simply refers to the three lights being off as an indication of an ‘Electrical Supply Fault’.

So I'm starting to suspect we’re being duped here but would appreciate a view on this in case I'm doing him a great dis-service.

And if anyone had any thoughts as to what else may be causing this fault, it'd be appreciated. I'm somewhat resigned to getting someone else in rather than call the previous chap back.

Many Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back