Main incoming water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to move my main incoming water feed. The wall that the pipes presently go to is coming down. I’m intending to move it a 1m to an adjacent wall.

The pipe comes out of a very tough concrete floor and I intend to solder a right angle ( see photo). Although close to the surface I’m intending to cover with a metal plate.

I can turn of the mains out side and can suck water out of the pipe with a syringe to allow soldering.

I guess what I’m asking before I do this is yes/no or any other advice. Any help would be much appreciated before I cut the pipe as there’s no going back

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpeg
    IMG_0799.jpeg
    640 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
1. Make sure the outside mains tap (stop cock) really stops all water, otherwise you won't be able to solder.
2. If you have one, a wet and dry vacuum cleaner is a good way of getting water out of pipes.
3. I guess that black felt like stuff under the floor is the damp proof course, Take care not to damage it and repair it if you do.
4. Copper and concrete don't go well together, so you'd be well advised to wrap the new pipe in two layers of duct tape before concreting it in. The best stuff to use is Denso tape, but the stuff that makes it waterproof can bleed through.
5. Its best if pipe can be withdrawn in the event of problems. Could you construct a plywood casing to go under and to the sides of the pipe, with a removable top?
6. If you do use metal to cover the pipe, make sure it doesn't touch the copper, unless the metal IS copper, or you can get galvanic corrosion.

Thanks that’s great. Yes, the pipe is only 20mm below the floor level, so I will fix a metal plate along the length flush to the floor ( making sure it doesn’t touch the pipe.
Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy. It’s been there for 50 odd years so I’m leaving well alone. The pipe is in great condition where I chased the concrete away to expose it. So fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back