Main Sewer under House Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just seen the HIPS details of property which my friend intends to purchase.

The house, built 20-30 yrs ago, appears to have the main sewer (according to the sewer map) running under the property.

The map shows the original development of approx 30 houses where this sewer runs to the side of other properties in the area. I suspect the sewer was originally there from the housing build done years earlier.

A main sewer under a house/garage. Is this acceptable practice?

Any comments please.

Alan

Sponsored Links
So long as the sewer has been adequately bridged and does not collapse then it seems fine to me.

Is it a public sewer or privately owned?

Is there any physical evidence the drain exists where the drawings state?

Hi,
Sorry, don't know about the sewer being Public or Private. All I can say is the sewer (on the map) runs from 6 houses along their back gardens but under the house/garage in question.

Regarding the physical location of the pipe. As my friend only viewed the property and received the HIPs 2 days ago. I think it will need looking into via the Solicitor and Survey.

Thanks
Alan

Edited: Sewer is Public

Sponsored Links
Not uncommon to have a sewer run under a garage (under the house is pretty rare).. my neighbour has his garage over the main run for our little close..

Bear in mind, if the run does block up then the chances are someone will need to access the manhole/s on the property.. so next time hes there get him to lift the manholes and check the quality of the runs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back