House built over public sewer- to buy or not?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the hundreds of thousands of properties with pitch pipes and sewers running close to them are not worth buying and those hundreds of thousands of current owners are living on knife edges. :rolleyes:

Of all the things that can go wrong with a property, there are far many other things which are more likely and more costly. Think about that.

Thanks for reply. But think maybe you misunderstood or misread my original post.
My property is not near a public sewer, it is built on top of it, according to the drawings 75% of my bungalow sits right over it and none of my drains feed into it at all. They may not be exact but it's highly likely that most of my property is built over it.

Granted, pitch fibre drains were very common and can be repaired/relined, they don't concern me as much, I have ordered a survey to see their condition.

You say there are far more things which are more costly and to to think about them instead. Well, the biggest cost I could envision is structural damage, subsidence etc. So if this public sewer pipe collapses under my house for whatever reason, my thought is it would have some impact on my house structurally.

But hey I'm no builder, hence my post here to find other people's experience of anything similar or advice/thoughts if this is a possibility.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back