Main Stop Cock Not Turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has been stiff and not used in years. I always switch water off at the meter when required.
Are there any tips on shifting this please?

Alternatively, if I choose to replace it, should I use a stop cock again or a full bore ball lever valve? Also, is this going to be a regular 15mm pipe or am I about to open a metric/imperial can of worm?

Sponsored Links
For adjusting it, just clean with a cleaning strip ripped in half for the spindle, use wras approved silicon spray lubricant, and should start to free up. If replacing either or, stopcock or lever ball valve just make sure it’s for potable water. 15mm imperial and metric not that big a difference.

Thanks Chris. Can I clarify, can I use 15mm fittings irrespective of what I have there at the moment?
Also, lever valve seems easier to operate and posisbly durable compared to the stopcock?

Sponsored Links
No. its definitely the 15mm range. Just unsure on metric/imperial because of how old it may be.

No. its definitely the 15mm range. Just unsure on metric/imperial because of how old it may be.

Oh, forgot to mention, if it’s really old,then it could be a drifted end type, which would require cutting with a hacksaw or pipeslice irrespective of what’s to be fitted.

Pic of the valve would help. If you really want to service it, you'd probably get away with popping the headgear off and replacing the jumper's washer and then buff the brass up with a green scourer, then a dab of good quality silicon grease. Make sure the gland nut is removed and then grease up the gland.

.... either that or replace with a full bore lever valve. If it's 1/2" imperial then you're fine to use 15mm, the olives may be a bit tight though. You will have to cut the old olives and nuts off if it's imperial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back