main stopcock leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
I noticed this morning some wetness in the grout on my floor tiles and on further investigation found that the stop cock was leaking.
I believe it was leaking from the nut and it has stopped leaking when I closed the tap a little.
My concern is that it will start leaking again and was wondering should I get it replaced? If I do get it replaced is this a big job - as you can see the access to it is somewhat limited (see pics).
Thanks for any advice on this.

-Al

Sponsored Links
Not the easiest replacement job, that one, but the leak will be from the gland so try turning the tap off, undoing the gland nut and winding a good few turns of PTFE tape clockwise down the tap shaft and compacting it into the gland space. A smear of Vaseline helps too.
Return the gland nut and your leak should have gone but it may require retightening once the water is turned back on.
John :)

thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

So you think this can be fixed then rather than requiring a replacement stopcock?

Yep, but either way you'll need access as far as you can.
If you can get into the gap with an adjustable spanner and turn the gland nut, its just fiddly from there on.
A replacement stopcock is much the same, and just includes a new rubber washer and a freshly packed and lubricated gland.
On occasion, I've just replaced the stopcock body, and left the feed and flow pipes alone but they aren't always compatible. For this obviously, the water feed has to be turned off at the external tap in the road.

Sponsored Links
A crow's foot spanner can do the job here if you had one!

Just tightening it might stop it dripping anyway!

Tony

That`s a really strong kitchen unit ( i`m thinking 1980`s Magnet ;) ) so it`ll withstand enlarging that access hole , no problem - then make a neat cover for it

Thanks for the advice all. Have tightened the nut which seems to have stopped the leak. Will be monitoring very carefully of the next few days!

It'll be fine.....but will probably be inclined to drip again once the tap has been turned a couple of times......s0ds law!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back