Main supply frozen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok is there anything we can do?

I have checked garage no signs of any problems, had a tub of water in there which is still liquid so I doubt the problem lies there. We had a few drips from kitchen tap (about once every 2 seconds) about 10 minutes ago but these have now dried up - I have left main tap open btw...

Rang water board no other reported cases but am waiting for them to get back to me. Not sure about immediate neighbour, neighbour 3 houses down is ok so at least I have access to water.

Other problem is know one knows where the supply comes from apparently!
Our houses (row of 4) were privately built in the 70's and are on the back of a car park of a sheltered housing complex. There is a separate stop cock on drive next door but apparently this does nothing. Neighbour at the end said he called water board to find source but know one could trace it and they even called one of those snake oil folks with hazel twigs with no luck :LOL: Can't believe the water board would do that!

Anyway, do I have to wait for things to defrost naturally or should I call someone in to try to find our connection to main supply?

Also, if there is no external stop cock is the supplier responsible to my stop cock or just to the house boundary?

Help appreciated folks,

Olly.

Sponsored Links
You could temporarily block up any air bricks, which are close to where you suspect the water incomer is - just in case there is an extra icy blast coming in there......what a dreadful thing to happen!
Hope its sorted soon.
John :)

Hi John thanks for the help. I just thought on to try turning the stop tap off in the garage and releasing the drain cock to see which side was frozen (long length of pipe in garage) - I can not move the stop although haven't tried to force it.
Whenever I have previously opened the tap (not too long ago) when restoring supply I open fully then turn 1/2 turn back so it can't jam open so I guess the water in the pipe is frozen solid!?

Can I gently heat the pipe with a hair drier or is this a bad idea?

Using a heat gun or hair dryer is an excellent idea - just leave taps open so hopefully you'll see the water starting to run again. Water usually freezes on bends first.
Be lucky!

Sponsored Links
don't use a heat gun on plastic pipe :eek: :idea: Hairdrier, fine, but not a blowtorch either :D

Ta folks water back on now no split pipes but this couldn't go by without disaster - someone left bathroom tap on which resulted in sink overflow and now water poring through ceiling :(

What a great f*cking start to the new year hey :rolleyes:

Ta folks water back on now no split pipes but this couldn't go by without disaster - someone left bathroom tap on which resulted in sink overflow and now water poring through ceiling :(

What a great f*cking start to the new year hey :rolleyes:
Blame Burnerman ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You did not tell us where it was frozen!

Usually it results from inadequately heating the house at night.

To avoid problems the heating should be left on to maintain about 10° indoors if its freezing outside.

Tony

It seems to have been frozen at the stop tap in the garage and some point either side of that. There are gaps in the garage door and the tap is close to this. Also there is hemp(?) wrapped round the pipe with areas of bare pipe exposed.

When stop tap was defrosted but still no flow I tried the drain cock and water trickled which I suspected was from house side so maybe the 5 inches to floor was frozen?

Anyway water stopped leaking just got to hope the plasterboard survives now :confused:

Ok ok I accept full responsibility :eek: :D
Glad that the water is back on - even if its not where you'd ideally like it :confused:
Its a good idea to lag those pipes - if you can't use the genuine stuff just cover them with old blankets etc. It doesn't take that much to keep them happy.
Cheers mate!

Thanks I will stick some bubble wrap round exposed areas of the pipe for now. I live near Woodford which I am sure you will have heard about today it was -9 for us and -17.6C there :eek:

get some proper pipe insulation.. armaflex or similar..

and just to be on the safe side, have a look into trace heating...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back