Mains consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my existing fuse box (which is an old fuse type which has 4 fuses) with a new Box. What would be the best type of unit to install.
My home is a 3 bed house with the following extra circuits 30A cooker, Shower, Garage, and External/ Shed etc. As the New box would be sited approx 2 foot from the existing box because of larger size how would i be able to extend the existing wires?

Sponsored Links
skippy28 said:
I want to replace my existing fuse box (which is an old fuse type which has 4 fuses) with a new Box. What would be the best type of unit to install.
My home is a 3 bed house with the following extra circuits 30A cooker, Shower, Garage, and External/ Shed etc. As the New box would be sited approx 2 foot from the existing box because of larger size how would i be able to extend the existing wires?

are you aware of part P?

to entend the existing wires, youll need to either have an isolator fitted (if you dont already have 1) or youll have to pull the seal on the meter to replace, or pull the seal on the service head and extend usin henly blocks. as to what CU to use, this depends on many factors. mainly what earthin arrangements you have

Does it fall to me again?

skippy28 said:
The one your electrician installs.

You won't - your electrician will do that.

I'm not being harsh, or superior, or trying to score points - the fact that you are asking these questions shows beyond any doubt that you don't know anywhere near enough to do this job.

You can't even do it by asking questions, because I guarantee that there are not only things that you don't know, but also things that you don't realise that you don't know, and therefore won't ask about.

You will also not possess the necessary test equipment.

And are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations?

I'm sorry, but you cannot do this job.

I'm sorry, no offence but I'm going to have to side with Ban on this one, you sound very much out of your depth, replacing a CU is a job for an electrician, or a very competant DIY'er (who also has the required test equip.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies.
I am now looking for a qualified electrician in the Lichfield area any recomendations?

skippy28 said:
Thanks for all your replies.
I am now looking for a qualified electrician in the Lichfield area any recomendations?

1: ask friends/neighbours if they have had any work done or could recommend one.

2: get several quotes. at least 3. normally, the middle priced is the best

3: try here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back