Mains door bell wiring...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am renovating my house, and would like to fit a new wired door bell. I was going to use a wireless one, but most of the bell buttons look like like a 99p fare - and you have to replace the batteries all the time too.

-Also If I fit a mains wired one, I can always use a wireless one later anyway.

My question is this: if I buy one with an integrated transformer, does this have to have its own MCB in my consumer unit, or can it go on the lighting/ mains ring, as it is a bit of a precious waste of a slot just for a door bell?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can connect via the light MCB, if space is restricted within the CU. You could also consider having the transformer external of the CU freeing space up for an additional MCB and have the doorbell on an independent circuit.
But this would then be considered a new circuit and building controls notification would then be required.

You can connect via the light MCB, if space is restricted within the CU. You could also consider having the transformer external of the CU freeing space up for an additional MCB and have the doorbell on an independent circuit.
But this would then be considered a new circuit and building controls notification would then be required.

I had a search also on DIYN, and yes, I think it will go on the light ring, thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I have single door push and three wireless door bells. The door bells I do have to change batteries about every three months for freshly charged ones but since three bells they do not all fail together.

The door push button has gone two years without battery change the same as the one fitted with the wireless set-up before.

The push button never seems to have a problem it is the bells which I seem to have gone through many of the plug in types. So now all battery two years and all three units still running A1. Lidi best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back