Mains Electricity Operated Chainsaw Parkside 2200W vs. Titan 2000W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Both are DIY grade chainsaws in cheap price, and maybe much of muchness.
But which one would be better in terms of durability, parts availablity and performance?

I cut down a few trees in the garden this summer using the hand saws, and they are still lying down in the garden on the ground.
They are not too thick trees (up to 8 - 15cm thickness), so these DIY grade chainsaws will do the job OK, and faster I believe.

I used to own and run a few petrol engined chainsaws a few year ago, but got rid of them all due to noise, fumes and smell of petrol plus possible fire in the shed.

Mains operated chainsaws would be quieter, and cleaner, and lighter I would imagine. Will be cutting the tree logs into smaller size, and used them for DIY projects (making stand for blacksmith anvil etc), or cut them thin and multch around the plants in the garden.

Sponsored Links
I've had the Titan for about 2-3 years now. Bought a pack f 3 new chains and have used 2 of them. Mind you, I was giving it a good old welly last year trying to reduce the height of some very tall, very thorny 'bushes' which had completely got out of hand. I destroyed the first chain, (supplied with the saw and able to be re-sharpened whilst running), by not checking the chain tension after a few minutes of running. It had 'stretched' and came off the arm, wrapping itself around my wrist. Luckily, I had released the trigger instantly and was wearing a thick coat, and thick gloves so no damage done, but a very salutary lesson learned. I now check the tension each time I stop after a cut.

It must have been quite a shock and scary. I have used petrol chainsaws before, and luckily I had not had any problems with safety issues.
I have a forestry work helmet with ear defenders and metal face net all in one, so I always wear it even when I cut hedges.

Have read about some horror stories from chainsaw accidents, and it is scary. Must check the chain tensions every 2-3 cuts, and also the oil levels as well as ensure wearing the relevant protective gear for safety.

Titan chainsaw seems to have good reviews, have been around for a number of years now, and popular amongst DIY grade users. I have seen even pro gardners use Titan chainsaws on youtube with good results.

Parkside seems slightly more expensive, and also seems to get raving reviews for good value for money buys, and good performance. But I read comments of some of the users complaining that the chain tensioning bar breaks after a few cuts, and then there are no spare parts available, and your saw will sit in the shed for the rest of life.

For these cheap disposable tools you should get the one with the longest guarantee - they are virtually unrepairable.

Sponsored Links
If I cut trees and wood logs regularly, I would buy something higher spec. or even pro grade chainsaws. But to use just once or twice a year, and keep them in the shed for the rest of the year, it feels waste paying out more money than the cheapest. All I need is something that works, reliable and if minor faults happen, to be able to get the parts to swap out, and being able to keep using it without throwing out in the bin.
(These days even binning is not trivial matter - must book for throwing out unwanted electrical items with the local skip - 8 miles drive to it, and queue for sometime to be able to discard the unwanted tools and domestic appliances).

I think Titan has 2 years, and Parkside has 3 years guarantee.

Last edited:
Parkside are made for a major German tool company, and spares are available. I guess they sell millions throughout Europe.

IIRC the company Web page is in German so you may find the text difficult, but there are exploded diagrams and part numbers.

I also see some UK parts retailers saying they have stocks.

I do not think I have ever seen a source of Titan parts.

I have a Titan and it works ok.
Good brake as well.

But as mentioned Titan parts are almost impossible to source.
Occasionally a few used tools on ebay that can be scavenged.

Personally I'd get the Titan because of the customer service/support/backup from screwfix. I'm sure parkside spares are available etc etc but if one of my screwfix-purchased tools goes wrong, a quick stroll down to the local screwfix for an exchange means I'm returning home less than an hour later and able to carry on with the job. This doesn't happen with Lidl/Aldi purchases unless I'm lucky enough to have something go wrong when the same thing is back on special buy. I do have a To-Do list a mile long so I could easily drop into another job while I wait for spare part X to arrive from Germany, and then spend two hours faffing around fitting it..
.. l but generally I regard the Aldi/Lidl tools as disposable

The Aldi petrol chainsaw I purchased 10 years ago is still going well, actually, and if I was climbing around in a tree I probably wouldn't purchase a chainsaw with a cord because of the cord. I take your point about fumes though; increasingly I tire of stinking of two stroke oil and for work on the ground where a cord can be kept out of the way an electric for logging works out (neighbour has one).
If I was in a tree proper, a battery one for smaller branches and petrol for the big stuff

Last edited:
Sure. I agree with your points. And I went for Titan Chainsaw. It was a deal for £49.99 from £55 at the local SFX.
I also had a £10 discount voucher, so it was total £39.99, for a brand new chainsaw what a bargain.
It was all set up in 10 minutes in the garden, chain oil put in, and the tension set, and voila. It worked fine.
I cut quite many of the old wood scraps lying in the corner of the garden into bits, and put them into the black bag to disposed of.

The Titan Chainsaw was smooth, quieter and very powerful. Even cut large tree logs no problem without struggle.
Titan products from SFX seem work OK, and reliable. The other Titan I have is about 7 year old Shop Vac. It had been bought when I was plastering the house. It did great job. After that heavy usage, it is now in the shed, vaccuming the shed floor or car. Did I say 7 years?
The only thing it needed was a new filter, and the bags.

As a DIiYer, I seldom need to use my enormous Titan SDS drill, or my long-reach Parkside hedgetrimmer. I recognise that they are cheap in every sense.

I am confident that if either had failed before I had finished the major work I bought them for, I could have had a refund or replacement. They have earned their purchase price.

That they are still in working order afterwards, is a bonus.

I forgot I had the Titan SDS drill too. It was 2 year ago last time I used it. It is somewhere in the shed now forgotten until you mentioned it.
I used it to put up a new fence in the space where the old fence was blown away by the January harricane.
To dig out the fence post 2 ft deep concrete was hard work. The Titan SDS drill did the job in a day.
I think before that when first time I bought that SDS drill was about 8-9 year ago, and that was when I installed the outside tap drilling the 40-50cm kitchen wall to get the water pipe through the wall into the garden. So it was used total twice in 10 years since new.

Yup Titan did good job, and saved lots of money. Guess what. I just bought the Parkside long reach hedge trimmer from Lidle last week.
It is a great tool, felt and worked like a Bosch - the green coloured motor housing and all. That made me to ponder to go and get the Parkside chainsaw too which was sitting next to the hedge trimmer. But no, Titan is good enough for me. I am impressed with the performance today, and happy with the price.

For Parkside 2200W Chainsaw, I was disppointed with this video for its performamce. It looks underpowered I thought.
But no, it looks like the user error - no PPE to start, and the way he was cutting is NOT right, and maybe did let down the saw instead the saw letting down the user.

Parkside are made for a major German tool company, and spares are available. I guess they sell millions throughout Europe.

IIRC the company Web page is in German so you may find the text difficult, but there are exploded diagrams and part numbers.

I also see some UK parts retailers saying they have stocks.

I do not think I have ever seen a source of Titan parts.

You could also consider Hyundai chainsaws, they have a good entry level range, either 1600W or 2400W.

Both get good reviews online and, to @cdbe's comment, both come with a three year warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back