Mains hot water flow problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I wonder if anyone has a view on this problem of mine, which has been steadily getting worse: We have a waterjacketed woodburner that heats a 1,000L thermal store tank. We get mains hot water through a copper coil inserted in the thermal store, which heats the water. Over the last few weeks the mains hot water has been initially strong with good flow, but after a few seconds it reduces to about 15% of the original flow. This has been slowly getting worse. When it was flowing better than it is now, I saw the flow surging. Now there is no detectable surging and just the slow flow. I suspect there is a blockage close to the tank because all hot water taps are affected. The only other thing along the pipe is a thermostatic valve to keep the hot water at a constant temperature. I tried closing and reopening the valve but there was no effect on flow, and a very small difference in temperature between the valve being fully closed or fully open. We have a water pressure control valve at the stopcock which limits the pressure to 5 bar (from 10 bar) and there is very little difference between the fluctuation of the needle on the gauge when the hot tap or cold tap is opened. Could it be the thermostatic valve, or furring in the heater coil? Or something else? I forgot to mention that we have a Scale Eliminator 54 from the East Midlands Water Company that works as a kind of passive water softener, and is plumbed at the mains entry, so in theory there should be less furring in the pipes, although scale will still deposit in the kettle, but not as bad as it would do normally. We had all this system installed in 2009. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
I'd double check that the TMV is working correctly before assuming a blockage - don't assume because you have adjusted it that it's working- most will fail closed in the event of a fault.

Thanks Newboy. Would a faulty TMV account for the surging I had noticed before? Would you recommend changing the TMV just to be sure? Thanks.

I'm not sure that the TMV would cause surging - what sort of frequency are you experiencing?

I'd bypass the TMV to check if this resolves the issues before replacing it

Sponsored Links
The surging came every 2 seconds or less. In any case that's excellent advice about bypassing the TMV - that will tell me whether the flow out of the heat exchange coil is adequate or not. The way I see things, it's got to be either the TMV or coil. Thanks again. I'll let you know once I've had a fiddle!

I just discovered that the TMV connecting to the DHW outlet from the thermal store tank is a Caleffi 5213, which is a point-of-use valve! The plumbers should have installed a tempering valve, for whole house use - and probably a solar tempering valve at that, because the outlet temperature is usually between 85 degress and 99 degrees. The Caleffi is rated for max. 85 degrees. So, its the wrong kind of TMV and may be faulty after all because of the high temperatures it's facing. I think I'll change the valve anyway to a solar type one, but it will cost me a pretty penny or two.

I would also be inclined to check the pressure reducing valve on the feed to the thermal store. They can drastically reduce the flow when faulty.

I have a Caleffi pressure reducer which sometimes jams and restricts flow. Winding the pressure adjusting screw in and out cures mine. It is easier to re-adjust afterwards if it has the pressure gauge inbuilt.

Well, I finally got round to changing the TMV. The mesh on the hot feed was almost completely blocked. So, fitted a Reliance solar tempering valve and a Protecto YC In Line Y Type Strainer ahead of it (to make maintenance easier), and job done. Nice hot water at 5 bar!
My wife could not be happier and even stopped complaining about my other half-finished jobs. Well, for a week or two...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back