No Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a thermal store system about ten years old. About two weeks ago the hot water went luke warm & the flow was poor. The central heating system is ok. The hot water is derived from mains pressure which is reduced by a diaphragm reducer, then double check valve, then through a coil in the cylinder which is heated by the cylinder hot water. This then is mixed in a blending valve to the taps and shower. The pump and boiler supply is working ok.

I suspected the blending valve as the hot pipe out before the blender was considerably hotter than the pipe to the outlets.I have changed this but no difference. The hot water taps are mostly now cold although you get a short burst of luke warm water occasionaly. Also the water seems to be pulsing.

There is a thermostat on the cylinder for the water temperature which is set between 60 & 70C

Can anyone can help me please?

Sponsored Links
I have no experiennce of these systems at all , but if the blending valve has HW on the input (correct side?????) then you should be able to adjust it to get hot out. So what happens if you try?

If you have the HW on the wrong side I expect you would be able to get either very hot or very cold water, only. Because that's what shower valves do!

ChrisR said:
I have no experiennce of these systems at all , but if the blending valve has HW on the input (correct side?????) then you should be able to adjust it to get hot out. So what happens if you try?

If you have the HW on the wrong side I expect you would be able to get either very hot or very cold water, only. Because that's what shower valves do!

Thanks chrisR

Yes it is a basic mixer but there is no hot water coming out even when its set on max. The short hot pipe from the cylinder to the blender gets so hot it can't be touched but the outlet pipe is luke warm. As i fitted a new blender because of this it can't be the problem

By the way if I have replied wrongly, I apologise as iam new to this forum

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
shot in the dark is the cold flow in ok :?:

The mains pressure into the house is ok and the water into the cylinder is ok.

I just wonder if there is an air block somewhere or could it be something to do with the pressure reducing valve. Apparently the hot water system must not be above 2 bar.

kevplumb said:
there could be a blocked valve filter is the flowrate ok :?:

The flow rate is poor but the only filters are on the blender which is new anyway. It might be the coil in the cylinder might be blocked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back