Mains lights, underwater?

One

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am looking for help regarding the use of mains operated lights in fountains (don't worry I am not installing them.)

I know that in the U.K. you are not allowed to use mains operated lights under water.

But my question is this:

Where does it say you can not use mains operated lights underwater, I would really appreciate it one of you knowledgeable guys could point me to the actual rule or regulation that says you can not use mains operated lights underwater (My electrician is at a loss)

I ask as I need to settle a dispute and you guys seem to be very helpful.

I have tried google and the I.E.E website, but can not find the actual answer

many thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Not 100% but i think you can use them as long as they are designed to be immersed and the wiring is installed correctly.
Bloddy expensive installation I would think

Thank you ltfc for your reply, but you can not buy mains operated lights for use underwater in the U.K. as they are "not allowed" I believe "them" (All suppliers etc), but I can not find the rule or regulation that says this, which is what I am looking for. Thanks again

I have seen mains lamps installed underwater before today, although I wouldn't advise going swimming there.

Afaik there are no specific regulations prohibiting the use of mains lamps underwater in fountains providing as ltfc said the correct type of luminaire + lamp which are designed and manufactured fit for this purpose, installed in line with manufacturers instruction are used. There are however special location regulations regarding swimming pools and paddling pools (see reg 602).

Sponsored Links
and the swimming pool rules apply if the base of the fountain is intended to be occupied by people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back