Mains Power Keeps Tripping Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently our mains power keeps tripping out. On our mains fuse box there are several different loops (down stairs lights, garage, shed, upstairs lights, living room etc) that all have their own trip switch. However it is always the main trip switch that goes. So far it has happened about 6 times at seemingly random times of the day and night over the last 3 weeks.

I've read on other posts that a short circuited appliance may cause this and i should unplug everything and plug them all in one by one until it happens again. However before i try and do this i think i can rule out any manually switched on appliances (hair dryers, microwave etc) as it has happened twice in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep and another time during the day when everyone was out..

Also all of the appliances that are timed/thermostatically operated (fridge, freezer, boiler pump, shower pump, hot tub, loft air circulation fan & heating timer) however these have all been on at some point over the last few days and didn't cause anything to trip.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can easily diagnose the problem or other potential causes?

Sponsored Links
So by main switch you mean an RCD/RCCB? Could look like this, (but with 0.3A rather than 0.1A)
If so..........
Are all you circuits protected by just the one RCD or do you have unprotected circuits or another RCD protecting another bank of circuits or combination of both?
If you are unsure, a picture of the consumer unit, with visor down could help.

It is not uncommon for an electrical appliance or appliances, to cause this issue.
Another thing would be do you have any outside lights/sockets as ingress of moisture could also cause this as can loose connection of the hardwired system.

turns out it was the heating element that had gone on the hot tub!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back