Oven keeps tripping the RCCD out !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had this problem some time ago with our previous oven but it didn't happen all the time..we have recently installed a new oven and it worked ok for a few days then to problem started again. So as soon as you turn it it trips out the main RCCD switch not the oven trip. I have changed the cooker wall switch - still happened then today I have changed both the cooker RCD and the RCCD and now very frustrated as it trips straight out as soon as I switch it on. The lights & clock light up but as soon as the oven is turned on - thats it. Please can someone advise..getting very frustrated :confused:

Sponsored Links
But why did it happen with the previous oven and now the same thing again with a replacement oven?

..we have recently installed a new oven and it worked ok for a few days then to problem started again. So as soon as you turn it it trips out the main RCCD switch
As has been said, you've probably got an element problem. However, what do you mean by a 'new' oven? If it is 'new new', and hence under warranty, then the warranty will clearly cover such a problem arising after use for only a few days - so you wouldn't really need to worry about what was causing the problem - just get the manufacturer/supplier to repair or replace it.

However, if it were second-hand, maybe you've discovered the reason it was being sold, and, as the new owner, you will probably need to get the element replaced - unless you can get the seller to accept some responsibility!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The "old" ovens element had broken and my mum was having a new kitchen fitted so we had her oven which was in perfect working condition...so yes I understand what you are saying but could it still be this element or are we looking for a main electrical fault when it could still be the element??

It's likely your mum's installation didn't have an RCD so the problem never showed up.

The "old" ovens element had broken and my mum was having a new kitchen fitted so we had her oven which was in perfect working condition...so yes I understand what you are saying but could it still be this element or are we looking for a main electrical fault when it could still be the element??
Try turning every circuit off in your house except the cooker circuit and turn the oven on - quite often there is a build up of current leakage and the oven element provides the tipping point for the RCD.

If the RCD only trips when you switch the oven on, but not when the oven is not switched on, then the problem is clearly in the oven - and the element is by far the most likely culprit. Are you saying that your new cooker is your mum's old one, and that the broken element in it has recently been replaced?

Kind Regards, John

:) Ok thats great we will have a look...

Kind regards

Mark

Hi

we have now established that my mum has no RCD so as you said this fault with the element wouldn't have shown up...so what is the best way to find out if it is the element or the grill or the fan....I recall reading a post where the advise was to take one bit out at a time but i can't find that post now...it is a Neff oven??

so what is the best way to find out if it is the element or the grill or the fan....
You will require some testing equipment to establish where the fault lies.
Both insulation resistance and continuity testing should help point you to which element is faulty.
Also you could, providing all exposed live conductors were enclosed/protected from accidental contact. Remove each element one by one and see when tripping stops.
Removing the elements would be done whilst the circuit was isolated and exposed conductors made safe before re-energising.

we have now established that my mum has no RCD so as you said this fault with the element wouldn't have shown up...so what is the best way to find out if it is the element or the grill or the fan....
You said that the RCD trips immediately you switch the oven on. If that is literally true, then it's probably a fault which is there all the time, not one which only shows itself when things warm up.

If that's the case, can you turn on the grill without the oven? If so, and it doesn't result in a trip, then the problem is presumably not the grill element. Can you turn the oven on in a non-fan mode? If so, that would obviously enable you to eliminate the fan (pretty unlikely, anyway). The oven element is easily the most likely culprit.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back