New oven tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new oven has been installed, but when ever the wall socket is switched on it trips the rcd, but not the oven one. The oven remains on, the if I turn the fan oven on, it goes off, turn the oven back off and the clock displays again.

The oven has its own trip, but remains on all the time.

What could cause this? Nothing else trips the circuit.

Sponsored Links
Is the oven connected to an existing, working circuit. Or was a new one provided when the oven was "installed"?

It's an existing circuit, but no oven has been connected to it since the rewording was done.

The oven wall switch also has a plug on it , if we use anything in this switch, it trips the oven circuit, not the other rcd. Strange.

Sponsored Links
Your description isn't very easy to understand.

Does your Consumer Unit have 2 RCD's in ?

Maybe the oven neutral wire is fitted to the wrong neutral bar inside the CU.

Sorry, not the best with this stuff.

Here is the consumer board. With the oven connected, turning the wall switch on trips the right trip labelled "RCD controlled circuits", but the one labelled "cooker" stays on.

In this scenario, if I then turn the oven on to warm up, the oven dials fade off, then turn the oven temp off and the dials come back.

We have a cooker and plug wall plate, both switched, like so.

cs.jpg

View media item 80356 View media item 80357

Was it a second hand cooker?

So if you leave the red cooker switched off, and plug something (e.g a kettle) into the cooker socket and turn it on, (and turn the kettle on) the RCD will trip ?

Tell us the answer before continuing.

If you feel confident and safe, turn off the red main switch on the consumer unit (bare in mind the terminals/wires on the main switch are still live, so don't touch anything.

Remove the front cover and take a decent photo with flash on.

We are interested in the bars at the top with the black & blue wires. Are there 2 or 3 ?

We are also interested in the whole CU wiring

Brand new cooker.

Yes, if I use the plug, it trips, even with the cooker off.

I'll take a good photo of the wiring for the CU later on. My other halfs electrician reckons it could be as simple as the wall plate, but I doubt she explained the CU setup to him!

Is it worth bypassing the wall switch using a choc-box for a test?

Have you used this socket before the oven was fitted?

As mentioned above, we suspect the RCBO white lead is in the wrong neutral bar.

Who fitted the Cooker MCB?

If the socket has never been used, and is tripping now, then its an electrician warranty claim.. free of charge

We moved in a few weeks ago, and the plug hasn't worked since. The house was re-wired only 6-8 months ago and has never had an oven in it.

No idea who the electrician was, not overly bothered above a warranty claim, just want a hot dinner!

The photos above are my iPhone, believe it or not, and there is dust and scratches all over the lens. I'll get the SLR out later for a gooden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back