New oven tripping rcd

If you feel confident and safe, turn off the red main switch on the consumer unit (bare in mind the terminals/wires on the main switch are still live, so don't touch anything.

Remove the front cover and take a decent photo with flash on.

We are interested in the bars at the top with the black & blue wires. Are there 2 or 3 ?

We are also interested in the whole CU wiring

Do this.

If you cant/wont do that, you need a spark.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned above, we suspect the RCBO white lead is in the wrong neutral bar.
No we do not. In any case, the CREAM functional earth wire goes to an earth busbar. If it were connected to a neutral then I suspect that may cause a problem - but only a complete numpty would do that.

Nore likely the RCBO's neutral is on the RCD's neutral and not on the supply neutral.

Sponsored Links
Why would someone put just the cooker on an rcbo ?
I could understand it if it were an MCB ?

Too much earth leakage causing a built up and the rcd to go?

Anyway it's a different cooker now.

I guess the solution (if only 2 neutral bars) is to move it to a spare way on the right hand side.

As there is no spare MCB, may as well use the RCBO

I'm sure BAS will be along in a minute with his "it's anybody's guess" screen shot.

Off the top of my head, my best guess is that as ovens contain heating elements which are well known for causing RCD trips, it was done to stop a RCD trip taking out all the other circuits. Given the OPs problem, that may have been a prudent move (although actually it seems to be the cause, rather than the treatment).

Perhaps another possible scenario is that the joker who originally fitted the CU cut the bus bar too short and so those "spares" on the left are unusable. The sparky only had an RCBO in the van, so fitted that instead of acquiring a new busbar.

Who knows? Anyone else got any bids?

well if your feeling confident enough, with the power off

Remove the blue lead coming from the cooker rcbo, thats going to the top neutral bar and put it in the top blue RCD terminal next to the cooker rcbo .

You need to ensure both cables are gripped well and tight.
Try and pull the cables out afterwards, to ensure they are tight

This is probably the easy solution

crystal_ball.jpg

Easiest but may burn my house down? Is it the right thing to do?

Edit: how do you know that thin one is in the cooker one? I can't see it go in there!

Ok, so there is a thin blue cable that goes into the back of the oven one, but I can't confirm it's the one you highlighted. It goes behind the master, then looks like it isn't the same cable.

Edit: yes, it is the same! Just moved it and the one you highlighted goes into the oven one.

So take it from the top right rail, put it into the rcd?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back