Mains powered smoke alarms,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a mains powered smoke alarm in my new extension.

Does it matter which circuit (e.g. lighting or socket ring main) it is powered from?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Mains smoke alarms should be on their own circuit with mcb and if more than one interconnected with 3 core and earth. Off the lighting circuit or any other circuit is not desirable. Go and buy a good quality mains smoke alarm and you will find the instructions are very comprehensive with respect to the correct unit - optical, heat or ionization - correct siting and the correct method for wiring.

You could try Screwfix and search for smoke alarms as sometimes they have the instructions in PDF format for you to download.

There's been a lot of debate on this site about which circuit to put smoke alarms on.

The consensus seemed to be put them on a lighting cct as they're less likely to be switched off and forgotten about.

Sponsored Links
There's been a lot of debate on this site about which circuit to put smoke alarms on.

The consensus seemed to be put them on a lighting cct as they're less likely to be switched off and forgotten about.

Thanks for all the replies. My father who's a retirered elecrician used to put them on the lighting circuit for exactly the reason above.

I used to put smokes on their own cct but after some geezer called breezer suggested the lighting cct I've done it that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back