Mains powered Smoke Alarms

optimum words being
sleeper341 said:
test smoke alarms

he / she may also advise you on the correct location, but fix them, cant see that one.

as i also said, it would be like asking the cpo to fix your burglar alarm

cpo will give advice but not test your burglar alarm as its not their problem on which alarm you get, they will however make recomendations

and in case i wasnt clear enough cpo works for the police, not to be confused with
images
as this is a robot called c3po

Sponsored Links
Normally if the mains power is working properly the batteries would not be called into play - only when the mains power has failed to supply the detectors - you should have this checked out.

Maybe removed any batteries and then try to test/sound the detectors with the test button.

How old are the detectors?

It might be if you havent tested them in a long time and they are self testing.

As I said earlier, Sleeper told us 3 things:

1. The mains supply was isolated
2. There is believed to be no battery back-up
3. The alarms give an intermettent bleep.

As I also said earlier, at least one of the above cannot be true. I don't for a second imagine that he's hearing things, so either the supply wasn't isolated (are you completely sure which circuit they're on), or, and this one has my vote, there IS a battery back-up somewhere. Especially as the sporadic beeping you describe is well known as a low battery warning.

breezer said:
ninebob said:
breezer said:
please tell me that is an atempt at humour

Why not? The fire brigade have long been advocates (obviously) of smoke alarms, so I'm sure if they were able to get this person's set-up working properly, they would (and should) do so.

Because they put out fires, rescue people etc, give advice. They are NOT the makers of any smoke alarm, electrciains, fire engineers.

That would be like asking your local CPO to fix your burglar alarm

In other words is nothing to do with them what smoke alarm you have and or if it works. first port of call is as you suggested or send it back.

I still say its got a battery, maybe a battery one was sent instead?

CPO being crime prevention officer
In the old days in order to receive a certificate you would need to call the fire brigade to arrange an inspector to look over the system and from experience of installing fire alarm systems in the past the inspectors had a knowledge beyond just fires they knew what regs covered what, for instance that panels must be fed from their own Fuse protection , common sense to a spark maybe but it proves they know their stuff, they would also check location of detectors to see if they were at the highest points of the ceiling and that the sounders gave the required level of decibels within closed bedrooms from sounders in the hall, so i think it fair to say they know their stuff.
Just to add, the inspectors would be in full brigade dress uniform when calling round so suggesting that the inspector wasn't from a seperate firm called in.

Sponsored Links
OK, here goes - I've solved the problem. But before I tell you what it is I must get on my knees and apologise profusely for being an ass and wasting all your time and brain power. But I do thank you for all your help and good work you do for idiots like me who should be banned from DIY.

My detecors have no battery back up as i discovered when dismantling one (broke it too!). However, the old smoke detectors that I replaced with the mains powered ones were battery powered - now for the stupid bit. I removed the 2 old detectors and left them in random places which happened to be near the new detectors. The batteries in the old ones have gone flat hence the beeping. the fact that the new ones beeped when i disconnected them was in fact the old one beeping about 2 feet from where i stood holding the new one!

I feel like a complete tw*t and rightly so!

Thanks again for your help though guys

ninebob said:
As I said earlier, Sleeper told us 3 things:

1. The mains supply was isolated
2. There is believed to be no battery back-up
3. The alarms give an intermettent bleep.

As I also said earlier, at least one of the above cannot be true. I don't for a second imagine that he's hearing things, so either the supply wasn't isolated (are you completely sure which circuit they're on), or, and this one has my vote, there IS a battery back-up somewhere. Especially as the sporadic beeping you describe is well known as a low battery warning.

Missed ( rule ) 4. (Breezer !!) Sleepers can be made of wood. ..Wrong chirrup source :D

sleeper341 said:
OK, here goes - I've solved the problem. But before I tell you what it is I must get on my knees and apologise profusely for being an ass and wasting all your time and brain power. But I do thank you for all your help and good work you do for idiots like me who should be banned from DIY.

My detecors have no battery back up as i discovered when dismantling one (broke it too!). However, the old smoke detectors that I replaced with the mains powered ones were battery powered - now for the stupid bit. I removed the 2 old detectors and left them in random places which happened to be near the new detectors. The batteries in the old ones have gone flat hence the beeping. the fact that the new ones beeped when i disconnected them was in fact the old one beeping about 2 feet from where i stood holding the new one!

I feel like a complete tw*t and rightly so!

Thanks again for your help though guys

That is an absolute classic! PMSL :LOL: :LOL:

As long as you learn from this adventure then you will be stronger next time, alternatively do not hang on to stuff that you do not need any longer!

I must say that not too sure I would want smoke alarms without a battery back-up, what happens if you have an electrical fire and the power goes out or a fire during a black-out or somebody turns then off.

Reminds me of the hilarious post sometime back with the beeping mobile phone in need of charge :LOL:

He He He...I've been doing a few searches here and stumbled on this thread, i can't help myself....
As a fire fighter myself i have came across this situation a few times, just recently a previous watch as part of a home fire safety visit installed a 10 year battery operated smoke detector in this guys hall. We were on shift the next day and had received a call to go out and check it as it was apparently beeping. The gaffer and I went in with a spare, I changed it, still beeping, took the dodgy one out the house incase it was that that we were still hearing. No ...I looked down to the guys wee hallway table...Gaffer........do you think it's maybe this one????.

BRILLIANT!!

How we laughed, and laughed, and laughed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back