smoke alarm question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The attached smoke alarm is beeping every 30 seconds or so. No flashing light or anything. It is mains powered. Does it have a back up battery and does it need changing? How do you change it? What sort of battery is it? I'm not sure if it is linked to the other two alarms or just supplied together.

Attachments

• 20151212_112943.jpg
    20151212_112943.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
It's an Aico alarm, there should be a small rectangular slot on the side, push a flat screwdriver in a little way to release the clip and slide the alarm away from the screwdiver a CM or so and it should then come away from the base. The battery is a standard 9V PP3. If it's been up there a while, check it hasn't passed the replace by date which will be printed on a sticker around the edge of the alarm.

Edit: you can download the user instructions here which explain the procedure better than I did.

Note the bit re battery replacement in the instructions:

The Alarm automatically monitors the battery every 40

seconds to ensure that it is satisfactory. If it is depleted it will

give a short beep every 40 seconds.

AND

We recommend that the “use by date” on the battery should

still have at least 2 years to go. Older batteries will give

beeps prematurely.

Time for a new PP3 battery.

Thanks guys. I take it these batteries should last a good few years given they don't actualy get used by the alarm. I've checked the date on the alarm and it's 2018 so it's got a few years left in it yet. I'll stick a new battery in it next time I'm in. (These alarms are at work)

Sponsored Links
They do have a tiny load on them as part of the monitoring function. They only time they would seriously get used is if there is a smoke event and the mains supply has failed (that is the point of having the battery). Batteries do not stay charged for ever, they have a shelf life too - which is written on the battery.

It sounds like you may have more than one alarm? If so, check the date on the battery that you take out, if its near its relacement date, it would be best practise to change the batteries in the lot.

Have you seen the price of 9v batteries? They ought to be cheaper given their use in safety critical appliances. . .

If they are in a place of work, is there not a BS for the entire detection/alarm system which is mandatory?

Is a formal schedule of inspections & tests & documentation of results not required?

A BS? A man comes every year with a can o smoke on a stick and recommends to the company that we have a fire system installed but they won't have one fitted until they refit or extend. I also test using the test button weekly and record this electronically. The alarms have a date code on them for replacement. What more is necessary?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back